Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 to H4 COS vs processing at consulate

Hi Everybody,

Will appreciate a little advice on my wife's case - I am an H1B and she is in F1 status with OPT having started on 7/1/2016. She hasn't been able to find a job and thus should technically be out of status since 10/1/2016. Now, we married on 9/26/2016 but have not filed a COS yet. We spoke with a lawyer and he said that we should do it ASAP and that the short out-of-status should not be an issue for COS.

Now, she wants to travel back to our home country asap and I understand the COS takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 months. According to the lawyer, applying at a consulate makes it slightly riskier and introduces some chance that they might look into the out-of-status period so he recommended to wait for COS before leaving the country.

In your experience here, could such a short out-of-status - a month or less, and again noting that we married before she became out-of-status so that should be a mitigating factor, be an issue when applying at a consulate that might prevent her from getting the H-4? And I realize that the safest thing is to wait and file COS so I would appreciate answers that express opinions on the levels of risk otherwise, rather than stating which is the better way to go (which is obvious).

Thanks in advance!

I am sure a lawyer's recommendation would be better than what you would find here. It seems like you/she doesn't like what the lawyer said because she needs to leave and staying for an extra 3 months or so is not going to work for her... So, my recommendation would be to do what ever you want to do... If she leaves it may cause some problems with the visa being changed... As I understand it... once you change status you must stay in the US until it is approved or denied. So either let her leave without changing her status until she is ready to come back, or she needs to stay until it is completed.
    Just my opinion... Use at your own risk...

Comment

Originally posted by PryncissQueen View Post
      I am sure a lawyer's recommendation would be better than what you would find here. It seems like you/she doesn't like what the lawyer said because she needs to leave and staying for an extra 3 months or so is not going to work for her... So, my recommendation would be to do what ever you want to do... If she leaves it may cause some problems with the visa being changed... As I understand it... once you change status you must stay in the US until it is approved or denied. So either let her leave without changing her status until she is ready to come back, or she needs to stay until it is completed.
      I agree with what you're saying completely but I am sure there is a significant pool of people with all sorts of experience here so I was hoping to find somebody with a similar one to help me quantify the risk that we might be taking. Certainly, thank you for your opinion.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X