H4 EAD vs F1 OPT, which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 EAD vs F1 OPT, which is better?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I am a new member and need some help.

I am on H1B visa, Wife: H4 visa-valid until 08/2017 (with recapture-02/2018). My wife began studying Masters in 08/2016 on H4. My employer will file for PERM this month. They expect to file my I-140 around 05/2017. My wife can apply for H4-EAD after I-140 approval - around 08/2017.

Would you recommend her converting to F1 visa during India trip soon? Is there a risk of denial for a H4 to F1 conversion? Or do you think it is best for her to continue on H4 visa considering that she would get EAD by the time she graduates in 12/2017? Is this realistic timeline?

If she stays on H4, she will not be eligible for internship (CPT/OPT). However the H4-EAD would be less restrictive than F1-OPT and would also not require her future employers to file for an H1-B visa which has lottery. Thanks so much!

Originally posted by kkbuzz View Post

I am on H1B visa, Wife: H4 visa-valid until 08/2017 (with recapture-02/2018). My wife began studying Masters in 08/2016 on H4. My employer will file for PERM this month. They expect to file my I-140 around 05/2017. My wife can apply for H4-EAD after I-140 approval - around 08/2017.

Would you recommend her converting to F1 visa during India trip soon? Is there a risk of denial for a H4 to F1 conversion? Or do you think it is best for her to continue on H4 visa considering that she would get EAD by the time she graduates in 12/2017? Is this realistic timeline?

If she stays on H4, she will not be eligible for internship (CPT/OPT). However the H4-EAD would be less restrictive than F1-OPT and would also not require her future employers to file for an H1-B visa which has lottery. Thanks so much!
    Hello there,

Did you have an update you and your wife situation? Is she still studying on her H4 or did she change from H4 to F1 while in US or go for F1 VISA when she visited India? My wife is in a similar situation and I would like to know what happened in your case. I could rely on the information you pass so we could work on a solution. Please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kkbuzz View Post

Hello there,

Did you have an update you and your wife situation? Is she still studying on her H4 or did she change from H4 to F1 while in US or go for F1 VISA when she visited India? My wife is in a similar situation and I would like to know what happened in your case. I could rely on the information you pass so we could work on a solution. Please let me know. Thank you very much in advance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X