H4 visa date does not match I94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 visa date does not match I94

my question is two-fold. I was given 3 years for my H1B visa which is normal but my wife was given a H4 visa for 5 years.

a) is that the typical time period for H4 visas? because my understanding is that my H1B expiry date (three years) should match my wife's H4 expiry date. but she was given a visa for 5 years.

b) but, her I94 expires 2 years before her visa expiry date. shouldn't her I94 also be for 5 years to match her visa in the passport.

could anyone please help me understand that.

thanks

About i94 expiry date, Did you check her passport validity?

About H4 visa for 5 years, this is typically done for special cases (specially abled etc) who dont need to re-appear for stamping after each H1B extension, if it is not i am not sure why

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by itsambi View Post
      my question is two-fold. I was given 3 years for my H1B visa which is normal but my wife was given a H4 visa for 5 years.

a) is that the typical time period for H4 visas? because my understanding is that my H1B expiry date (three years) should match my wife's H4 expiry date. but she was given a visa for 5 years.

b) but, her I94 expires 2 years before her visa expiry date. shouldn't her I94 also be for 5 years to match her visa in the passport.

could anyone please help me understand that.

thanks
      The I-94s for both of you should be until your petition's expiration. Everything seems correct. Visas are only for entry and are irrelevant to how long of a stay is given.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X