No announcement yet.

I-94 Correction Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in the same situation. I have a valid visa until Jan 2020 but my I-94 is going to expire April 2019 since my passport was going to expire in Apri 2019. I recently renewed my passport and now I am all set to renew my I-94.

Anyone from Bay Area willing to travel to San Diego and get it done together? I was planning to travel by southwest or something in the morning and get it done on the same day and come back in the evening.

Let me know if someone wants to join.

Thanks,

Comment

Anyone wants to join from Bay area

I am in the same situation. I have a valid visa until Jan 2020 but my I-94 is going to expire April 2019 since my passport was going to expire in Apri 2019. I recently renewed my passport and now I am all set to renew my I-94.

Anyone from Bay Area willing to travel to San Diego and get it done together? I was planning to travel by southwest or something in the morning and get it done on the same day and come back in the evening.

Let me know if someone wants to join.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by TKP View Post
        Hello All,

I got my daughter's expired I-94 renewed at PedWest San Ysidro Land Port of Entry 2 days ago.
        Thanks to Ansh and other on this thread who shared their experiences in detail which helped me plan the visit and know exactly what to expect.

In brief I was asked to visit Mexico and return and I got new I-94 for my daughter and myself.

A few points I would like to highlight that may help others:
        1. There is a separate line for those who have pre-paid the I-94 $6 fee online. Make sure you do this, this queue is shorter compared to the regular queue.
        - I was able to pay online only for myself and not for my daughter as her passport had expired and the new passport wasn't recognized in the system. I was still able to stand in the pre-paid I-94 queue. Here is the link for paying online: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/apply-document

2. My daughter's I-94 had expired almost 2 months ago (along with her passport) and I hadn't noticed it. I only applied for a new passport. I was wondering if they would ask/object the renewal for her. But to my surprise they didn't ask anything about why I didn't get it renewed in time. (it probably is due to the fact that she is a minor).

3. You can use the border wait times website to check the wait times at the facility that you plan to visit: https://bwt.cbp.gov/index.html
        - I was tracking the wait times for a few days before my visit to understand the general trend.

4. 1 day before I went to PedWest, there was a new facility PedEast facility opened at San Ysidro which I believe is much larger than the PedWest. I didn't want to go to it, as I had no further information about it. Anyone who might go there, please share the details.

Good luck!
        Hello,
        I also need to renew the I-94 for my son. Does he need to accompany me in the port of Entry or I can go alone and do it for him. What documents do I need to take along with me so that I do not need to take him there. Please let me know.

Comment

Anyone going to San Ysidro POE in next few days?.I am planning to go on 12thJan retun the same day from Indiana.

Comment

Originally posted by ghoshsubhrajit View Post
            Anyone going to San Ysidro POE in next few days?.I am planning to go on 12thJan retun the same day from Indiana.
            Hello Subhrajit , Please reach out to me on the email id [email protected] . I am also planning to go from bay area and I can join with you.

Comment

Originally posted by sonalov View Post
              Thanks Ansh. It worked for me.
              I think these people are now know about this I-94 extension situation very well, they asked directly are you here for I-94 extension and I said Yes and they check VISA and Passport and that's it.
              Did you have to book an appointment or did a walkin ? Can you tell me exact address of that location ?

Thanks!

Comment

Expired Green Card and Passport but in Process of the n-400

Hello all.

I apologize for having to write on this thread. For some reason, I cannot find the button to write a new post and I'm desperately asking for help. I am in a bit of a rut with my green card issue and I would like someone to help me.

I did not know that my green card had expired and once I found out, I went ahead and applied for the n-400 in December 2018. I got my biometrics done January 2019 and am still awaiting its status.

My concern is, I am trying to visit family in Korea by the end of the year and I have an expired Korean passport and expired green card. I called the LA consulate who advised me that I will still be able to renew my passport with them even with an expired green card and that I will also be able to travel to Korea with an expired green card. However, they mentioned that there may be an issue about re-entering the US. Obviously, this is a problem and I would like some advice on how to handle this situation. I believe I tried to apply for green card renewal, however, it did not let me as I've already sent in my n-400 form and it is in progress. Even if it allowed me, I would have to wait several months to receive the new green card and pay additional fees which does not seem necessary as I already paid a lot for my n-400.

Once I get my Korean passport renewed, is there a way I can still re-enter the US with an expired green card? I have read something about a temporary stamp on one's passport that says they are a permanent resident, which usually applies to those traveling with an expired green card.

Please help!

Comment

Originally posted by AnshX View Post
                  Hi Folks, I recently got my I-94 corrected on San Diego - Mexico border and thought to share my experience for the people in the same situation. Note that this is just my personal experience so please do your research too as per your case.

Situation: My old passport got expired and I got a new passport, so needed to correct my I-94 dates to keep it in line with I-797 dates. I traveled to Tijuana Border, San Diego. I did not have to cross the border to correct the I-94 dates. I directly went to Land port of Entry (on US side of border) and explained my situation to an immigration officer. He was a nice guy and sent me to an immigration counter to get all this done. Below are step by step instructions from my experience.

1. I traveled to Tijuana Border, San Diego. Parked my vehicle to the closest ‘Border Station Parking’ (On the US side). Google map address is <<4570 Camino De La Plaza, San Ysidro, CA 92173>>. There are several other parking / a near by outlet mall parking you can search for.
                  2. I came out of the parking and walked towards the intersection of Virginia Ave & Camino De La Plaza Blvd. Now walked on Virginia Ave towards Mexico side until I saw a bus stop. Right next to it there is a Building with American Flags and the building name is ‘San Ysidro Land Port of Entry – West Pedestrian Facility’. Google address is <<415-499 Virginia Ave, San Diego, CA 92173>>. This is the place where I-94 was to be corrected. (Note that earlier it all would be done at East Pedestrian Facility which is around 1 mile away from West Facility and one had to cross pedestrian foot over bridge. First I also went there but an officer told me that recently they have shifted it to West facility). And I did not have to cross border to get to those buildings as both are on US side of border.
                  3. So, on reaching the San Ysidro Land Port of Entry – West Pedestrian Facility building I found 2 glass doors with one having a board of I-94 Permits. I went inside that hall and saw few border agents sitting across the counter with last window as payment counter. I told security guard that why I am here and he asked to pay $6 for each applicant at the payment window and get the receipt. Then I sat down for my turn and shortly a border agent called me.
                  4. In my case, officer asked me some general questions like my address etc. I explained my case politely and showed him I797/other papers as required. He asked to show address proof and checked few records in the systems and finally took my finger prints/webcam pic and stapled a paper I-94 on my new passport and also put a stamp with new dates as applicable per my I797 dates. Entire process took 15 minutes around. This officer was very polite and cooperating and also gave me useful suggestions.
                  5. I thanked the officer and left. Immediately after coming out of building I checked I-94 official website on internet, and there too my new I-94 dates had got updated. I was all set and left the premises ! I had so many doubts before going but all of this went well and smoothly, so I thought to share my experience in detail to help others in similar situation.

P.S. : Prior to my visit to Mexico border, I also visited USCIS Deferred Inspection Site located in San Francisco and met up with an Immigration officer to correct I-94. But he confirmed that they can extend I-94 maximum until your old passport expiry date. If you got a new passport, you will have to cross border to get this corrected. Therefore, I planned to travel to Mexico Border. Hope it was helpful !

Disclaimer :These are just my personal experiences and not a legal advice.

Thanks,
                  Ansh
                  Hello Ansh & everyone else!

I'm so happy to find this forum! Thanks so much for posting this! It's really helpful. I was almost booking a flight home to get a new visa.

I have a question and did not find an answer here from the earlier posts and comments.

I'm considering to go to the San Diego border for my I-94 renewal in the next couple of weeks. My I-797 is valid through 2021 and my I-94 is valid through June 21.

When it comes to my visa, I'm a Chinese passport holder on an O-1 Visa and it's single entry visa (single entry visa meaning I can only use it to enter the US once, and if I want to re-enter, I will need to go to the embassy/consulate for a new visa, I know it sucks....).

So if that's the case, I'm not sure whether I will need to use my visa to enter the US from Mexico? Anyone had a similar situation?
                  Thanks so much for reading this!

Comment

Hi Ertu,

I am also in a similar situation like you. It is great that your issue got resolved. Can you please tell if you got new arrival date or they amended admit until date only?

Thanks

Comment

Hello Everyone,
                      I recently got my I-94 corrected on San Diego - Mexico border and thought to share my experience for the people in the same situation
                      ** THANKS FOR THE BLOG AND DETAILED MENTIONED IT WAS VERY HELPFUL.

Situation: My old passport got expired and I got a new passport, so needed to correct my I-94 dates to keep it in line with I-797 dates. I traveled to Tijuana Border, San Diego.

1) I went to ‘San Ysidro Land Port of Entry – West Pedestrian Facility’ office and the officer asked to go Mexico Immigration office where they checked my passport (old and new) with VISA Stamped. The lady gave me one form to fill mentioning passport no , FNAME and LNAME.
                      2) She asked me to exit the office. The COVID Team then checked my temperature and allow me to EXIT after my bags gets scanned.
                      3) I entered MEXICO. The security officer in the MEXICO Immigration team, asked to join the big queue to enter again the US Border. It was hard to explain these guys as they don’t know English. Somehow I managed to explain
                      4) It was big queue and it would have take me around 2 hrs to reach to the US CBP office.
                      I was scared in this COVID situation to be in queue. You will not see any officer or anyone who can guide you. I skipped the queue and go in front where the immigration department checks the VISA and allow candidates to pass through. I asked the officer that I want my I-94 to get corrected (Extend I-94) based on my passport.
                      5) The officer was very polite. He checked my passports, VISA and asked me where you stay in US. I told him I travelled from Sunnyvale to San Diego . He then allowed me to enter and asked me to go to other CBP office .
                      6) 1- 2 PM is lunch break for the officers. So, I have to wait for a while. The lady in the office asked to about issue and verified my passport. I showed her the online payment receipt of the I94 extension form which was $6 receipt. She asked to wait. I was the only one to extend my I94 .
                      7) The officer came around 1:55 PM and then sharp at 2 PM they called me to get my I94 extend. The lady explained him why I am here. So, no need to explain him again.
                      The CBP officer, then verified my old and new passport.
                      Asked me about latest address and verified my Driving License. If you don’t have license, then you show him rent agreement . He checked my VISA approval notice. You must give biometric here. Also officer asked me to remove mask and checked my face if it matches with passport and verified.
                      8) He gave me one receipt of I94 extension . Since my VISA is stamped on old passport, he stamped it on my old passport. I checked online, so under my old passport number, the last admit until date gets updated based on my latest VISA End date.
                      9) The officer asked to go through the EXIT. Again, immigration team was in the building. BTW this was the first building where at the start the officer asked me to enter the Mexico border. The officer checked the Passport and VISA . Asked me if I shop anything from MEXICO and then allow me to exit.
                      Again, you have to scan your items.
                      It just took an hour to do all the procedures. I was bit panic by seeing hundreds of ppl in queue. The CBP office timing is from 8 to 4.30 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X