Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much will a previous overstay on B2 affect my eligibility for H4 now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much will a previous overstay on B2 affect my eligibility for H4 now?

Hi,

I overstayed my I-94 by 122 days (about 4 months) earlier this year on B-2 visa, and returned to India in June. I was never deported, just left the country voluntarily. Will I face any difficulties in obtaining H4 now based on my spouse's H1B? I have read about the 3 and 10 year bans, but since my overstay was less than 180 days, legally, I don't have any bars to reentry. I think it might have an impact on my "immigrant intent", but since H4 is dual intent, I don't have to deal with that issue either. From what I have read, I really do not see any LEGAL reason for the consulate to refuse my H4. My B2 was cancelled under INA 222(g), so will that have a negative impact? The DS-160 did ask me if my visa was ever "cancelled or revoked" (I checked yes). It did have a question about overstay as well. Maybe they shall ask me more questions?

Are visas simply granted (or denied) on the discretion of the consular officer?

You're right, the consular officer will have no grounds for denying your H visa application

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X