Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 to H4 and back to H1 - Need suggestions

Hi All,

Need help with my current situation. My current H1B is expiring in Feb 2018 (I will exhaust all but 1 month of my 6 years of US stay, as I went to India earlier this year for a month).
    I work for an Indian company and my company has started processing for my GC and its expected that my PERM/labor will be filed on Feb 2018 as well.

Now I see 2 options -
    1) I can stay till end of my current visa and go back to India and join office there and once my I-140 is approved, my company can apply for out of CAP H1B extension from India itself. This considering that I still have 1 month of stay left in my current H1B when I return to India on Feb 2018, so my company won't have to file for a new H1B instead an out of CAP will be fine.

2) My spouse also works in the US on H1B, I am planning to apply for H4 on spouse's H1B and stay in the US on H4 till my I-140 is approved and then also my company can file an H1B extension (considering I would have 1 month of US stay left in my H1b).
    In this case when should I apply for H4 to maintain legal status in the US and to be able to utilize all my H1B duration till Feb.

Which is the best option of the 2 above or there is a third option, so that I do not have to leave the US, so I can stay with my family ?
    Also do you see any issues or complications with Option#2 above or what is the best way to achieve it ?

Had gone thru similar ordeal last year. But I had no option-1, since my company was US based.
    My attorney suggested that best option was to apply for H4 visa stamping in India by having a vacation in India. Since it was easier to move to H4 status this way, then to file for a change of status to H4 in US.
    Personally i feel option 1 is better, since there is lot of uncertainty in Perm and I-140 approval nowadays. And you never know how long you are going to be out of work in H4 status. But if you have made some plans, to make good use of this H4 break then option 2 is certainly better.

Not a legal advice. Just an humble opinion.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X