Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i-94 in uscis site expired but i-797 has the same i-94 number with validity

Hi,

I have the below situation. Could someone help me.

I landed here Nov -11 2016 and got the i-94 till dec 17 2017 which was the passport end date [Visa end date is Aug 4th 2018] .

I had one amendment in feb-2017 and got the i-797 approved with validity till Visa end date . In i-797 the same i-94 number is mentioned with validity till visa end date.

I have renewed my passport after this.

But when i check the USCIS site, it is showing the initial i-94 with end date 12th december 2017. [for the old passport number]

So what can i do here ?
    1. My new passport number doesn't have the i-94 in USCIS site. But my employer saying I don't have to do anything as the latest i-797 specifying the i-94 number with validity till visa end date.
    2. Should i go to the CBS and get this corrected ?

Can someone please help me.

The CBP's electronic I-94 site only has electronic I-94s from entry. The I-94 you got at entry is no longer valid because it has been superseded by the newer (paper) I-94 you got from the extension of status. This is the only I-94 you should be looking at now. Extension of status is adjudicated by USCIS who issues paper I-94s and those never show up on CBP's electronic I-94 site.

If you later leave the US then that I-94 will cease to be valid and when you re-enter you will receive a new I-94 from CBP which will show up on their site at that time.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      The CBP's electronic I-94 site only has electronic I-94s from entry. The I-94 you got at entry is no longer valid because it has been superseded by the newer (paper) I-94 you got from the extension of status. This is the only I-94 you should be looking at now. Extension of status is adjudicated by USCIS who issues paper I-94s and those never show up on CBP's electronic I-94 site.

If you later leave the US then that I-94 will cease to be valid and when you re-enter you will receive a new I-94 from CBP which will show up on their site at that time.
      Thanks a lot for the reply.

Here there was an another issue also. UPS missed my latest amendment approval original. So I don't have the paper i-94 with me. I just have the copy of i-797 [Which has the i-94 mentioned with latest validity]. I have applied for the duplicate and as per the employer it will take another 2-3 months to come. Also i have renewed my passport after this approval. Would any of these will be a problem ? I am planning to apply for an h1b transfer by Jan first week.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X