Requesting passport while in administrative processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting passport while in administrative processing

Hello everyone! I'm on H1b, with valid status till 2019 but an expired stamp. I was thinking of going to Canada for new stamp but worried about going onto administrative processing and getting stuck in Canada for long time. So my question is: If my visa application goes into administrative processing, can I request my passport back and return to the US on expired H1b stamp (on the basis of automatic revalidation)? I understand that automatic revalidation is not an option if visa was declined, but not sure about the other scenario I'm asking about. Your inputs are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ahmed2105; 01-17-2018, 05:37 PM.

Hi Ahmed,

To the best of my knowledge, they will not keep your passport while in admin processing if you are not citizen of Canada. They will cancel valid visa before even proceeding to ask questions. It happened with me ( F1 to H1b) . I have no knowledge of automatic revalidation.

Comment

Hi! Thanks for your reply. So you had to go through admin processing?
      My visa (stamp) is already expired, so what “cancelling the visa” would mean?. It’s good to hear that they don’t keep the passport, so i was thinking I could go back to US on automatic revaludation of expired stamp as long as I have valid i797, if my case was put on admin processing.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X