Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I94 valid only to passport validity

Dear experts

I have received my H1B extension in Sept 2017 which is valid till May 2020. During Oct 2017 I visited india and got the visa stamped on my passport. During port of entry at Dallas TX as my passport was valid only till Nov 2018 , the CBP officer gave me I94 valid only till Nov of 2018 and suggested me to renew passport and then exit US to get I94 renewed . I got my passport renewed in Feb 2018 and in March of 2018 I exited US to Mexico via road from Loredo TX and immeditlly re-entred US , at Loredo TX border the CBP officer denied giving me new I94 and kept saying the I94 attached to my I797 is the valid one, but after I receive i797 in Sept 2017 I exited US to India for visa stamping then that would invalidate the I94 attached to my I797, but CBP officer denied me giving I94. I have called deffered inspection office at Dallas TX and they are also mentioning same that I94 attached to I797 overrides any other I94 . But if I check my I94 at online I94 site it shows valid only till Nov2018, now I am in limbo on what to do to get my I94 validity until May 2020?

Please suggest.

Regards,
    Ashish

Originally posted by ashishpm77 View Post
    Dear experts

I have received my H1B extension in Sept 2017 which is valid till May 2020. During Oct 2017 I visited india and got the visa stamped on my passport. During port of entry at Dallas TX as my passport was valid only till Nov 2018 , the CBP officer gave me I94 valid only till Nov of 2018 and suggested me to renew passport and then exit US to get I94 renewed . I got my passport renewed in Feb 2018 and in March of 2018 I exited US to Mexico via road from Loredo TX and immeditlly re-entred US , at Loredo TX border the CBP officer denied giving me new I94 and kept saying the I94 attached to my I797 is the valid one, but after I receive i797 in Sept 2017 I exited US to India for visa stamping then that would invalidate the I94 attached to my I797, but CBP officer denied me giving I94. I have called deffered inspection office at Dallas TX and they are also mentioning same that I94 attached to I797 overrides any other I94 . But if I check my I94 at online I94 site it shows valid only till Nov2018, now I am in limbo on what to do to get my I94 validity until May 2020?

Please suggest.

Regards,
    Ashish
    They are wrong. The I-94 you received in Sept 2017 with Extension of Status approval became invalid when you left the US in Oct 2017. When you entered in Oct 2017, you were given a new (electronic) I-94 and that is your only valid I-94. I am not sure what you can do to convince them that they are wrong though.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X