Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it mandatory for the H1 holder to be in US before H4 dependent can apply for visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it mandatory for the H1 holder to be in US before H4 dependent can apply for visa?

Hello, I work in Houston on a H1 visa. I'm currently in India as the earlier visa has expired and I need to get an new (extended) H1 visa stamped on my passport. I have received the new H1 visa now, and want to schedule a H4 appointment for my wife. The few people I spoke to said that if the H4 holder is applying separately (and not through joint interview with the H1 holder), then the H1 holder needs to be in the US before the H4 dependent can apply for the visa. Is this correct? The reason we cannot do a joint interview is because H1 extensions are done through drop-box and not through interview, whereas the H4 has to mandatorily go through the interview process. What would be a good answer if the H4 applicant is asked "why is the H1 holder not with you if he is currently not in the US?"

It's not mandatory for H1 to be in US for H4 to go to separate stamping interview

Originally posted by mahendra_mm View Post
    Hello, I work in Houston on a H1 visa. I'm currently in India as the earlier visa has expired and I need to get an new (extended) H1 visa stamped on my passport. I have received the new H1 visa now, and want to schedule a H4 appointment for my wife. The few people I spoke to said that if the H4 holder is applying separately (and not through joint interview with the H1 holder), then the H1 holder needs to be in the US before the H4 dependent can apply for the visa. Is this correct? The reason we cannot do a joint interview is because H1 extensions are done through drop-box and not through interview, whereas the H4 has to mandatorily go through the interview process. What would be a good answer if the H4 applicant is asked "why is the H1 holder not with you if he is currently not in the US?"
    There is no such rule that H1B holder has to be in US for H4 to go for stamping separately.
    It's my personal experience where I got my visa stamped in September end 2015 but due to some personal reasons could not go to US. And next year in April got H4 stamped for my wife and kid before I flew to US.
    But as you said you also need to get new H1 stamped, so why not go jointly. Even if you're eligible for Dropbox, you can opt out of it (unless you're apprehensive due to current situation).

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X