Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blank Surname in Passport - Change it after filling DS156?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blank Surname in Passport - Change it after filling DS156?

Hi
    I have seen few queries related to this subject but I need few more details related to the change of surname in the passport & DS156.

My wife is going for H4 stamping (Visa Interview in Delhi - 1st week of Aug.).

We have filled 'NA' as Surname in the DS156, but I'm considering few options as I heard that it's better to have the surname corrected instead of a blank surname.

Option 1 - She gets her name corrected in the passport at this time (before interview), but DS156 will still have 'NA' (as it can't be edited now).

option 2 - She attends the interview with no changes (but the question is, is it going to be a problem at any later stage?)

Please suggest what will be a better option and any other steps to get this done correctly. Appreciate your response.

Thanks,
    Kumar

The online DS156 does not allow the first 14 fields to be edited and hence if you need to change anything here, you need to cancel your existing appointment and apply for a new appointment again. You can cancel and reapply any number of times for one year from the date of your HDFC Bank Visa Application Fee receipt.

If you want to bifurcate the name, fill Passport Form 2 and submit with Rs. 300 at your Regional Passport Office. They'll take a maximum of 2 days and return your passport. Once done, you can cancel your existing Visa Interview appointment and apply for a new one and enter the corrected name in the DS156. (This option is suitable if you don't mind postponing the appointment)

There won't be any problem if you go ahead as it is or if you go ahead bifurcating the name only in passport and not on form DS156. Your name on visa will appear exactly as specified in the DS156.

My recommendation would be to bifurcate the name on passport, cancel and reapply for the visa appointment.

Comment

Thanks Sinstoic for your reply and suggestion. I read the new rules in the VFS site, the following is the text
      "If you wish to cancel your appointment, you can cancel a maximum of TWICE. After your second cancellation, your receipt will be deactivated for 60 calendar days. You will not be able to take a subsequent new appointment during that period. "

Looking at the dates availability, I would go ahead with the as is name in the passport.

Thanks,
      Kumar

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X