Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valid H1: Do I need to go for personal interview..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valid H1: Do I need to go for personal interview..

Hi friends, Here is my scenario.
    I am currently in USA and has a valid H-1 visa stamping on my passport till Oct 21st 2006. Now I have got my Visa extended till April 2008.
    I will be going to India during January 2007 for about 1 month and will be returning to USA. For this I need to get my passport stamped again based on new H-1 petition. For this stamping, do I need to go for the personal interview in Mumbai Consulate ??

I have already been fingure printed in US port of entry when I entered US last time in 2004.

Since I work for a US company, am I eligible for visa interview under emergency category.

Thanks and Regards
    RC

Visa Appointment

Hi friends, Here is my scenario.
    I am currently in USA and has a valid H-1 visa stamping on my passport till Oct 21st 2006. Now I have got my Visa extended till April 2008.
    I will be going to India during January 2007 for about 1 month and will be returning to USA.

For this I need to get my passport stamped again based on new H-1 petition. For this stamping, do I need to go for the personal interview in Mumbai Consulate ??

---- Your visa is expiring in Oct. 2006 and how do you plan to return to the US when you visit India in Jan. 2007 and that too without a visa stamp on your Passport. What do you mean by personal interview? You have seek an appointment for yourself at one of the US Consulates in India, attend the interview, get your visa stamped before your embark on your return to US

I have already been fingure printed in US port of entry when I entered US last time in 2004.

---- What finger printing are you talking about. You have to read various posts and forums about fingerprinting and then you will understand what that subject is. The fingerprinting done at the POE is for a totally different purpose

Since I work for a US company, am I eligible for visa interview under emergency category.

---- You are eligible for an emergency appointment since you are a returning worker from US and not because you are working for a US employer

Subramanya

Comment

Thanks Subramanya.

I know that I need to get my Visa stamped on the passport before returning to US back in Jan 2007. But what I wanted to ask was that if I have to for for an interview in the Consulate during the stamping or I can use the drop box facility ? I know that the drop box facility has been discontinued from 2004 but somewhere I read that those people who has already been to US before, need not have to go for the personal interview.

Also as per my understanding, one of the reason that we have to go for the personal interview in the consulate is to get your fingure print so that the same can be matched at the POE.

Thanks
      RC

Comment

You definitely need to go for an in-person interview. Drop box is available only for foreign dilomats now. Everyone else needs to schedule an interview and prepare for the interview questions.

Comment

Visa Stamping

I know that I need to get my Visa stamped on the passport before returning to US back in Jan 2007. But what I wanted to ask was that if I have to for for an interview in the Consulate during the stamping or I can use the drop box facility ? I know that the drop box facility has been discontinued from 2004 but somewhere I read that those people who has already been to US before, need not have to go for the personal interview.

---- Can you post the source of your information? Only then you can confirm the matter. Somewhere is only speculative and sorry my friend you need to go for the personal interview for a visa stamping on your Passport. No more postal visas

Also as per my understanding, one of the reason that we have to go for the personal interview in the consulate is to get your fingure print so that the same can be matched at the POE.

---- The fingerprints taken at the US Consulate are for a different purpose than the ones taken at the POE. You do not seem to have got the full picture about the various issues of visa stamping. Please read through posts by various people and the forums. You will understand

Subramanya

Comment

Change of Employer on H1B

I had another questions on H1B stamping.
            I have a valid stamping on my passport till 31st Oct 2006 through my old Indian company A. I switched the job in US and joined a US company B. Company B has filed for the transfer of H1 and also got my H1 extended till March 2008. So now I have a valid I-797 till March 2008.

I am planning to go to India in Dec 2006 and I have my interview in Mumbai in Jan 1st week. My question is..
            1) Will there be any problem in getting the visa stamping in the Consulate because I switched the job and joined a US company ?
            2) What are the questions that VO could ask regarding this ?

I have all the supporting documents like appointment letter from Company B, paystubs, valid I-797 etc.

Thanks
            RC

Comment

H1B Visa Interview

I had another questions on H1B stamping.
              I have a valid stamping on my passport till 31st Oct 2006 through my old Indian company A. I switched the job in US and joined a US company B. Company B has filed for the transfer of H1 and also got my H1 extended till March 2008. So now I have a valid I-797 till March 2008.

I am planning to go to India in Dec 2006 and I have my interview in Mumbai in Jan 1st week. My question is..
              1) Will there be any problem in getting the visa stamping in the Consulate because I switched the job and joined a US company ?

---- As such there should not any issue in getting a Visa provided you have submitted all the documents and made your presentation appropriately

2) What are the questions that VO could ask regarding this ?

---- Search the forums and the members postings, you will find a plethora of information. Mix and Match all of that to suit your needs and you are good to go

Subramanya

Comment

I have a question for you Subramanya.

Picking up from the same scenario rchauhan is in, my Visa stamp has already expired. But I do have my latest I-797 valid through December 2008. Will there be any issue if I change my employer? I mean is it possible to transfer my H1 to a new employer when my I-94 is no more valid?

Please do reply. I had posted this question few days back, but no one has an answer till today.

Thanks.

Comment

H1 Transfer

I have a question for you Subramanya.

Picking up from the same scenario rchauhan is in, my Visa stamp has already expired. But I do have my latest I-797 valid through December 2008. Will there be any issue if I change my employer? I mean is it possible to transfer my H1 to a new employer when my I-94 is no more valid?

Please do reply. I had posted this question few days back, but no one has an answer till today.

---- Your latest I-797 must have come with a I-94 attached to the lower portion of the document or else you are talking of the previous I-94 attached to your Passport given to you at the POE while entering US. Assuming that you have your I-94 with the latest I-797 you can always transfer to another employer provided you have not crossed the 6 year limit

---- You may also want to seek the opinion of an immigration attorney in this regard

Subramanya

Comment

Thanks for the reply Subramanya.

Please educate me if I am incorrect, as this is new to me. I do have the I-94 attached to my latest I-797. So even if the I-94 from the passport which was stapled at the POE has expired, I am good and safe to continue working and going for a job change........ am I correct?

Thanks.

Comment

I-94

Thanks for the reply Subramanya.

Please educate me if I am incorrect, as this is new to me. I do have the I-94 attached to my latest I-797. So even if the I-94 from the passport which was stapled at the POE has expired, I am good and safe to continue working and going for a job change........ am I correct?

---- YES, if you want to change the employer you can do so by transferring your H1 to the new employer whenever you find one

Subramanya

Comment

Thanks a Ton Subramanya. I am very happy that someone did answer my query to my satisfaction.

Thanks again.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X