GC holders marrying non-GC holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC holders marrying non-GC holders

Nowadays, there is an increasing trend that green card holders get married to someone in their home country and then put the spouse (from the home country) through the torture of getting here on their own visa (F1, H1, etc) and keeping their status valid. Do you think its fair to put the spouse through such torture ?

Green Card Lure

Nowadays, there is an increasing trend that green card holders get married to someone in their home country and then put the spouse (from the home country) through the torture of getting here on their own visa (F1, H1, etc) and keeping their status valid. Do you think its fair to put the spouse through such torture ?

---- YES, you may be right in expressing your concern but consider the background of those people who are coming to the US by marrying a GC holder. As far as possibel these days the spouse wants to be independent and come to teh US on F1, J1, H1, B1 and whatever one it takes for them as they want be in the US. This act has been going on for decades. The difference today being there are forums on the web to seek opinions and advise in a jiffy.

---- In a country like India the web is accessed and browsed at the office and may be after working hours. People hangout at the company premises in the name of work, extra time, overtime and browse the web for all possible information. Because they cannot afford to have an internet connection at home (althought the cost is coming down, but not yet). Again consider those who cannot even afford a computer. In this exclude the upper strata of students and society where they have access to known and unknown issues.

---- Again consider the students applying for F1 and J1. Most of them do not have basic information and just apply for a visa, they get rejected and dejected. These are numbering 40-45,000 of them in a year out of approximately 1 million who graduate in a year from various institutes, universities and colleges. What happens to the rest of them is anybody's guess. Although, there are no statistics that I can present but reading from various news articles this is the picture one can get.

---- J1s are a minor percentage. We can almost count them along with other visas by adding a few here and a few there

---- Now the H1B's. Everyone thinks that they can make the quota for that year and almost any computer institute in India applied for H1's left right and center during the past 10 years or so (I am totally unrelated with this computer field in any ware). If they were unable to go for H1, they scammed L1 like nobody's business. These H1's have come here and go in for GC and they demand their price and cut for their marriage once they have a GC. As they are unable to sponsor a spouse directly under GC, the alternative is L1, H1, etc. with almost just the sufficient years of experience matching the visa requirements of 16 years of education (I do not know the exact number, but people have matched this by manufacturing experience letters and experiences that do not even exist). Reading various posts of a a few people this is what you have. Consider those who do not access these forums and websites and they are the larger numbers

---- Will all this stop, Ney, and in fact it will continue to grow exponentially as technology improves. Will any effort be made to stop all this --- emphatic NO, because we want visas to increase every year and we are eyeing US Congress and Senate to vote for more Visas and even lobbying and pushing with all our might. We will continue to advise people on the forums and elsewhere about the dos and dont's for a visa, for a Passport, for visa transfers even answering the silliest of questions (one of the queries I answered was "Can I take bus to the US Consulate or should I go by Taxi and if the VO asks what should I answer").

---- Ultimately, we will advise people in all kinds of situations as they plead helplessness and do not seek answers by searching and researching. Posting a query is the easiest way out. The posting may be for visa, marriage, babies to be born, children left back in the home country --- endless list. Thus, a person will be married to a GC holder and wants to be in US since their neighbours, relatives, friends, went to US without even getting good grades in primary school, but in US they are doing a job in a good firm on some visa status and earning money. What happens later will be thought of later

I hope you get the point

Subramanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X