3 questions regarding H4 and then H1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 questions regarding H4 and then H1

I am in India right now. My H1B petition has been approved (unfortunately I have not received it yet). I assume it will be a "I-797 without I-94" since I was not in the US when it was applied for.

I intend to go for H4 visa stamping in a few days.

Q1. Will the H1B get invalidated/cancelled if, after approval, I get a H4 visa stamp.

Q2. Do I have to have my spouse's name in my passport?

Q3. Can I go to Canada for H1 stamping after arriving in the US and of course after I have the 797 in hand? Please note that I have had prior H1 and L1 visas.

Thanks much in advance!!!

Anyone? Anyone out there?

Comment

Q1. Will the H1B get invalidated/cancelled if, after approval, I get a H4 visa stamp.
      Ans: NO. I am very positive, your H1B won't get cancelled but check w/ an attorney for your clarification.

Q2. Do I have to have my spouse's name in my passport?
      Ans: Not necessarily, but it will be a plus if you have it in the passport. Any how, you shall present the marriage certificate & photos when you appear for H4 stamping.

Q3. Can I go to Canada for H1 stamping after arriving in the US and of course after I have the 797 in hand? Please note that I have had prior H1 and L1 visas.
      Ans: Some people do this but it's not recomended!

GoodLuck...
      Last edited by Das; 11-30-2006, 07:48 PM.

Comment

thanks das

anyone out there gone through the same scenario?

To me, the "going to canada for h1 stamping" is not as important as not having the h1 approval invalidated/cancelled due to a H4 done later.

Comment

hello

Hello

If you filed your h1 when you are in india dont come to US and get stampled there it self and come .

I have the same situation lke I filed H1 to my wife when we were in india and she came to US on H4 and we attended for status change for h4 to h1 in canada .

but they told us reapply in india..

My strong suggestion is that dont think about to attend in canada or where ever....otherthan india when you file h1 when u r in india...

thanks

Comment

question still remains:

if i do apply for a H4, does the h1 approval notice get cancelled/revoked?

i dont mind flying back to india with the h1 approval notice and going to a consulate in india for h1 stamping..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X