Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-94 Expiry

Hello friends,

I had a question on I-94. My H4 extension was filed when i was in US and then i left for India. When i came back i was handed a new I-94 which will be expiring in a week's time. My question is do I need to leave for India on its expiry? My extension is already filed (but with a copy of my previous I-94 which i had submitted at the time of departure). My husband's H1 is extended but i have not received my extension.
    Will my stay be unauthorized after my I-94 expiry as i have not received my new I-94?
    Some friends mentioned that one should not travel when extension is filed as the extension application is with incorrect information viz I94?
    Please advise.

Thanks,
    Nisha

Your earlier i-94 is not valid

When you left, your extension is no more valid and when you came back you got a new i-94 which is the current valid document. File for extension immediately. As per my knowledge you can file even after it get expires. Since you still have a week no issues here. Just file for extension and sit back happily..no worries...but you HAVE TO FILE FOR EXTENSION

Comment

I-94 Expiry

Thanks Rushvin...esp for "sit back happily" comment!! But my extension is already filed...was filed before i left for India....that means i dont need to worry?

Comment

1-94 question

I see what you mean. But i or my husband's company never got any notice of cancellation of my previous extension. Will it not mean filing twice? My hubby's company just says "we will take care" and doesnt say anything further. i tried searching around in official sites but never got a clear picture.

Comment

i-94 query

Hello Mr Subramanium,

Please reply. You appear to be a well informed senior member.

Nishi

Comment

I-94

I had a question on I-94. My H4 extension was filed when i was in US and then i left for India. When i came back i was handed a new I-94 which will be expiring in a week's time.

My question is do I need to leave for India on its expiry? My extension is already filed (but with a copy of my previous I-94 which i had submitted at the time of departure).

---- If you already filed for the extesnion of H4 then you should be receiving it soon. The I-94 you got at the airport is only for the duration of your previous H4 Visa (the approval notice may be expiring within a week and thats the reason for I-94 being given that will expire within a week)

My husband's H1 is extended but i have not received my extension.
            Will my stay be unauthorized after my I-94 expiry as i have not received my new I-94?

---- If you have already applied for extension your stay will not be unauthorized

Some friends mentioned that one should not travel when extension is filed as the extension application is with incorrect information viz I94?

---- If you do not receive a I-94 attached with the approval notice (having filed for the extension), only then you may need to go out of the country to get the Visa affixed on your Passport and reenter US

Subramanya

Comment

I-94

Thanks Mr Subramanium for your advise. My husband's company is filing H4 extension again as they mentioned there is no progress in the previous H4 and that there could be a problem in that filing (as they also filed at the wrong center thats why there is delay).

Comment

Change to H1 back from H4

Hi Friends,

I came to US on a H4 visa and applied for H1 visa the same year. I got my H1 from a consulting firm and I was jobless from Oct 2008 to March 2009 due to poor economy. I went to India and came back on my valid H4 visa. My h1 visa expires in 2011.

My question is can I look out for work while on a H4 visa and once I find one can I convert it back to H1 visa? Is it legal to search a job while on H4 since I m on a sleeping H1 visa too.

Can I use my SSN which I got while on H1 to apply for jobs now?

Please help
                Thanks,
                Binaifer

Originally posted by nishi View Post
                Hello friends,

I had a question on I-94. My H4 extension was filed when i was in US and then i left for India. When i came back i was handed a new I-94 which will be expiring in a week's time. My question is do I need to leave for India on its expiry? My extension is already filed (but with a copy of my previous I-94 which i had submitted at the time of departure). My husband's H1 is extended but i have not received my extension.
                Please advise.

Thanks,
                Nisha

Comment

My question is can I look out for work while on a H4 visa and once I find one can I convert it back to H1 visa?
                  >>>>> Yes. But there are chances of issues during your COS to H1B for being OOS while you were on H1B earlier.

Is it legal to search a job while on H4 since I m on a sleeping H1 visa too.
                  >>>>> You can search for jobs. But you can't work until your COS to H1B is approved.

Can I use my SSN which I got while on H1 to apply for jobs now?
                  >>>>> Yes.
                  Last edited by shervin143; 11-21-2009, 04:31 PM.
                  Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X