Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-156 Questions. Please Help

Hi
    I have been in USA in H1B. I have an appointment in Chennai consulate in May 4th
    week. I have few doubts in filling out DS-156 form.

15. HOME ADDRESS:
    Since I have been working in USA for long time, I am going to India just for a month vacation, I am not sure whether I should fill out this with my home address in india or home address in USA

25. NAME AND TELEPHONE NUMBERS OF PERSON IN U.S WHO YOU WILL BE B]STAYING WITH OR VISITING OR TOURSIM OR BUSINESS
    This questions makes more sense to people who apply for B1/B2. I am not sure what I should write, since I am staying in my own apartment and I am applying for H1B visa. Should I mention my company HR contact? It is not clear

35. HAS YOUR U.S. VISA EVER BEEN CANCELLED OR REVOKED?
    What does this question actually mean? Does it mean only visas which were canceled or revoked due to abnormal reason (like criminal activity).

In 2003, when I revalidated my visa, state department (st.louis) issue new visa, but they stamped old visas with "CANCELLED WITHOUT PREJUDICE". I know this means old visas are no longer valid since new visa is given.

I am not sure whether I should say Yes or No here..I am scared that saying Yes could mean that one of my visas cancelled for some special reason.

36. HAS ANYONE EVER FILED AN IMMIGRANT VISA PETITION OR YOUR BEHALF?
    Here I have to say "Yes" since I have an approved I-140 petition. Some of friends told me that applying for non-immigrant visa with intention of getting green card could jeopardize getting my h1b visa. ..Is that true?

Please help
    Thanks
    Rajmall

DS 156 Q's

I have been in USA in H1B. I have an appointment in Chennai consulate in May 4th
    week. I have few doubts in filling out DS-156 form.

15. HOME ADDRESS:
    Since I have been working in USA for long time, I am going to India just for a month vacation, I am not sure whether I should fill out this with my home address in india or home address in USA

---- Address in the US

25. NAME AND TELEPHONE NUMBERS OF PERSON IN U.S WHO YOU WILL BE B]STAYING WITH OR VISITING OR TOURSIM OR BUSINESS
    This questions makes more sense to people who apply for B1/B2. I am not sure what I should write, since I am staying in my own apartment and I am applying for H1B visa. Should I mention my company HR contact? It is not clear

---- Your tel. # and you are going to stay by yourself

35. HAS YOUR U.S. VISA EVER BEEN CANCELLED OR REVOKED?
    What does this question actually mean? Does it mean only visas which were canceled or revoked due to abnormal reason (like criminal activity).

---- NO

In 2003, when I revalidated my visa, state department (st.louis) issue new visa, but they stamped old visas with "CANCELLED WITHOUT PREJUDICE". I know this means old visas are no longer valid since new visa is given.

I am not sure whether I should say Yes or No here..I am scared that saying Yes could mean that one of my visas cancelled for some special reason.

---- The Visa is stamped as CWOP as a new Visa had been issued at that time and the old Visa is just null and void eithre due to being expired or no longer being valid

36. HAS ANYONE EVER FILED AN IMMIGRANT VISA PETITION OR YOUR BEHALF?
    Here I have to say "Yes" since I have an approved I-140 petition. Some of friends told me that applying for non-immigrant visa with intention of getting green card could jeopardize getting my h1b visa. ..Is that true?

---- If you have applied for I-485 then say yes. However, having an approved I-140 is sufficient proof that your GC has been applied for by an employer

Subramanya

Comment

Thanks

Hi Subramanya,
      Thanks for your reply. I have few questions on your reply

You mentioned that for 15. HOME ADDRESS: I need to fill out US address. Just now I checked immihelp ds-156 instructions. It says "if you are coming to india for stamping, it should be address in Home country. This address is used by Consulate to communicate.". I am confused whether I should use US address or indian address

36. HAS ANYONE EVER FILED AN IMMIGRANT VISA PETITION OR YOUR BEHALF? which one is immigrant petition I-140 or I-485?. My I-485 has not been filed. In this case should I answer Yes or No?

Thanks
      Rajmall

Comment

DS-156 Q's

Thanks for your reply. I have few questions on your reply

You mentioned that for 15. HOME ADDRESS: I need to fill out US address. Just now I checked immihelp ds-156 instructions. It says "if you are coming to india for stamping, it should be address in Home country. This address is used by Consulate to communicate.". I am confused whether I should use US address or indian address

---- If the Q says contact address and address for communication, then it is the address in India. If the Q calls for home address, it is the address in US. If there is a separate line for your address in US, then what you have read from immihelp is correct.

36. HAS ANYONE EVER FILED AN IMMIGRANT VISA PETITION OR YOUR BEHALF? which one is immigrant petition I-140 or I-485?. My I-485 has not been filed. In this case should I answer Yes or No?

---- I-140 is immigration petition, since it is at this time that an employer actually files for immigration of the employee. Extract from USCIS.gov as given below for the purpose of form

"To petition for an alien worker to become a permanent resident in the United States. This form is filed on behalf of an alien, and not by the alien"

---- By all means answer Yes. However, based on purely personal experience I say that once I-485 is filed immigration, is to be completed (since this is an adjustment of status for you and your family (if there is one)

Subramanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X