H1 Extention, H4, I-94 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 Extention, H4, I-94 question

If H1B is extended, will they send you new I-94 for dependents (H4 holders) also? Do you have to specifically apply for H4 extension or (new I-94)? Who does this? - Employer takes care of this or should the applications do it on their own? What is the pocedure and how much does it cost?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just sharing my point of view.

H4 Extension

Hi,

Actually, my H1B and H4 to my family got at the same time and valid until Sept 2007.

1) Last year I did my H1B transfer to new employer and got only my I-94 extension upto June 2009 with New Notice of Action.

2) Now our (all of our) orginal visa on passport (H1B / H4) is going to expire end of Sept'07.

3) We visited India, and On return, all our (family) passport I-94 expire date is June 2009 at the port of entry.

Questions / doubts ----
    1) Do I need to apply for H4 for my family? or a valid I-94 on passport is good enough (which is until June 2009)? I remember while applying for my H1B transfer I sent all the details about my family H4 extension but got only my I-94 extesion.

2) If we want to visit India again what should I do, like going to Mexico or Canada to get new visa issue? or take appointment with US consulate in India.

I appricate in advance and please responsed.

Thank you.

Comment

H4 extension

If H1B is extended, will they send you new I-94 for dependents (H4 holders) also?

---- NO, nothing is automatic. USCIS does not know that you have a family unless you send in an application claiming that you have dependents and apply for their legal status

Do you have to specifically apply for H4 extension or (new I-94)?

---- Yes, you have to specifically apply for H4 extension as they are your dependents

Who does this? - Employer takes care of this or should the applications do it on their own?

---- That depends on your terms and conditions with your employer. If the employer does not do it, it is your sole responsibility or even otherwise it remains your responsibility to inform the employer that H4 extension has to be applied for (in the event they are applying)

What is the pocedure and how much does it cost?

---- Access uscis website and search for form I-539 and the associated fees
      (about $200)

Subramanya

Comment

Venkus, Subramanya,

Thanks for your responses. It is really helpful. My employer is going to apply for my H1-B extension and I have informed them about H4 extensions also. So, they are going to take care of this.

Thanks again.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just sharing my point of view.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X