Successful stamping in Tijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful stamping in Tijuana

I had a pleasant experience with my second H1B stamping in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico on June 7th 2007. Thanks for all the previous posts. Without referring to the previous posts, I don’t think I could have made a trip to Tijuana. Me and my wife (H4-visa) drove down from Los Angeles, CA to the US border the same morning of my appointment and arrived at the border around 8AM. We parked the car behind the Jack in the Box restaurant for $5 per 8 hrs. The Jack in the Box address is 402 W SAN YSIDRO BLVD, San Ysidro, CA, 92173.

We walked from there to the border using the bridge. If you are not able to spot the entry to the bridge ask some officers for guidance. Mexican Visa is not mandatory as no one will check. We saved around 200 bucks by not getting the Mexico visa.

When you enter TJ, there will be a bunch of cab drivers waiting and they know you are there for your Visa. So depending upon where you want to go either Banamex or to the Consulate just let them know and they will charge $5 to take you there. Banamex is no more next to consulate like before in Tijuana. They moved few blocks away from the consulate. I have a picture on my blog showing directions on how to go from Banamex to the Consulate. I have also included some FAQs and few much more detailed version in my blog. So before you ask me any questions please check my blog. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the entry for the Banamex is from the parking lot behind. You will see a lot of people standing over there in a line. They open at 9 AM and I had an appointment at 10AM. So I had enough time to catch up. Just mention the bank officer that you are here for the visa and give them your passport and money. They will give you a receipt after they process it.

Now you can walk to the consulate (It takes around 10 minutes to walk, check my blog for directions). When you arrive at the consulate you will see a whole lot of people standing in the queue. Talk to the security guards and depending on your appointment time they might either let you in or will make you wait in the line.

They let me inside right away which was pretty cool. Just as soon as you enter the building there is a small window where they ask you for your appointment letter and passport. Here they will there give you a token number. So next is security check. They don’t allow any electronic items or big bags inside the consulate. So if you have stuff with you, just put those things in one bag and there are stores next to the consulate that hold your bags for $3.

After you pass the security, there was a man who asked me if I was for an H1B visa. I said yes. So he told me to ignore the token number as they are having some special line for H1B people, which was some real good news. He directed me to that special line where one Mexican lady checked our documents. She will make sure all information is correct. The barcode you print should be very clear otherwise she will have to re-enter it all over again. Check my blog on barcode information. I have also included all the documents that you need to carry in my blog.

After this, I was asked to go to a line for interview which was specifically meant for H1B applicants. Then the visa interview began. I gave him my Passport, DS-156 and DS-157. Then I was requested to provide I-797, I-129, LCA, pay stubs and work confirmation letter. Then he started to shoot some questions.

1. What do u do in the company?
    2. What does that software do?
    3. How many employees does the company have?
    4. How long are you planning to stay in United states?
    5. How many programming languages do you know?
    6. How many languages do you speak?
    7. Where are you from in India?

For question number, 4 make sure you tell him the year mentioned on your I-797 expiry date. After these questions he told me that the visa is approved and should come back at 3PM same day to get the visa. He gave me a token which I need to show when I collect my passport.

I was out of the consulate by 10:15AM. So now we had to kill some time. I had researched before as to what places I should go and visit in Tijuana, to kill time. There are two places that we went to. Revolucion (Pronounced as revolution) and Plaza Rio. I have included some information about these places in my blog. Spent some nice time at these places.

Came back to collect my passport at 2:45 PM and found that they have already started to issue the visas. But I found out that my passport is not ready yet and they have some trouble with their computer and I will have to wait inside.

So we waited inside with few other people for around 45 minutes and one lady announced that the computer problem is not resolved yet and we might have to wait till 4:45PM and if that is still not resolved by then, we will have to come again the next day after 12 Noon. This worried me because it was not safe to leave my car at some parking lot at the border and moreover we didn’t know what to do that evening and where to stay. So I advise people to be prepared to stay till the next day as a worst situation and also if you go on Friday, you may get stuck there for the whole weekend.

Then I got lucky at 4:15 PM when our passports came ready with the visa. I verified my name and other details and left thanking them.

We came out of the consulate and took a cab back to the border for $6. He dropped us to the border and we saw a big line of people standing to go to the US. It took us around 40 minutes in the line to get to the immigration officer. The visa officer looked at the visa stamping and its validity. Without asking even a single question he let us in and there we arrived inside US without any problems. We walked to the parking lot and took our car back home.

Overall it was a pleasant experience. I recommend Tijuana for H1B stamping as it very easy.
    Good Luck to you all.

sidhumaharaj, thanks for taking the time to post your experiences. This is a prime example of people giving back - I wish everyone else who shows up for help did what you have done.

Congratulations on your succesful visa experience - and welcome back !

Mods: I think this should get nailed - other people might find it useful

Comment

Glad to be of help

Hi Mickey mouse,

I am glad to be of help. Thanks to this forum which helped me a lot.

Sidhu

Comment

Please leave a comment

If you people like my post, please leave a comment, so that this stays in top of the list and will more easy it is to find people who need it. Thanks.

--Sidhu

Comment

nice posting...blog is also helpful.
          hopefully all of us will experience the smooth H1-B stamping

Comment

The site to book an appointment is changed now. The new site is:

Comment

Very Useful

Your information is very useful. I need a clarification on the Q.29 -DS156.

Have you ever been in the US?

I am in H1 from May 2005 and had india trip in Apr 2006.

So what should I put in 'When' and 'How long'.

Thanks for your time.
              -Shan

Comment

An update

Thank you ketanchuri on updating me on this.

Yesnathan, for Q29 I put my recent visit to US. In your case it will be Apr 2006 and then u can put how many months since then.

Hope this helps.

Sridhar

Comment

Correction: Jack in the box address

Correction on the address for Jack in the Box.

721 E SAN YSIDRO BLVD, San Ysidro, CA, 92173
                  Ph: 619-428-4679

Sorry for any inconvenience caused because of this.
                  Thanks to the person who left me a comment on my blog.

--Sidhu

Comment

Hello Sridhar,
                    Thank you for the wonderful blog. I am sure it will be of help to many. I have an appointment coming up in three weeks at the Tijuana consulate. I was told that the consulate has moved to a new location called Consulate Annex. Did you too have to go to this new location? The address on my appt form is DIEGO RIVERA 2, ESQ. VIA RAPIDA PONIENTE, COL. ZONA RIO, TIJUANA, BAJA CALIFORNIA NORTE.

Also, on the question 4 (How long are you planning to stay in United states) what should I answer?
                    I came to US in 2003 on an H1 for company A. I had an H1 transfer to company B in 2005. My new employer, B, has filed for my Green Card. Which means I am already in the process of immigrating.

rgds,
                    VS

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X