• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher studies in the US

Hi,
    >
    > I've a question on part time/ online MS courses in US
    universities. My
    > wife is here on H4. She has a BE in Electronics and Communication.
    We
    > applied for her H1-B this year, but couldn't get thro' the lottery
    > system. So we're now planning to go for part time or Online MS.
    I've
    > the following questions –
    > 1. How will I get to know if part time / online MS from any
    university
    > is accepted by USCIS for the PG quota in H1-B? Is there anyway I
    can
    > check if a university is accredited by USCIS (if any)?
    > 2. Does USCIS accept online courses also while applying for PG
    quota
    > in H1B or only full time/ part time courses are accepted?
    >
    > I'm looking for universities/colleges in NY or NJ area offering
    part
    > time/online MS courses. We're looking at joining the course in this
    > fall. I'm not sure if the applications are being issued or stopped
    > already. If anyone has any information or pointers, I'd greatly
    > appreciate it.
    >
    > Have a great day!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Senthil.

You need to check with deadlines with universities. Usually for Fall intake the deadlines are in April. Check on this...this may vary with each university. And I doubt whether there are online-MS courses in the first place. And to be enrolled as a student you have to be enrolled full time for each semester as per F1 visa rules. So in a semester usually to maintain full-time status you need to be enrolled in 3 courses. And if your wife goes for MS, she comes on F1, I dont see how one can do online-MS..am not sure on this and not heard about this. I do not know about whether online-MS is ok for h1.
    Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

Thanks for ur reply. I'm sorry I dint get ur point. We do now want to for F1 since that would involve change of status, stamping issues, etc. What we're trying to do is take up part time/ online MS sitting here on H4 so that she can complete the graduation. Many of my friends have studied in US universities like this, but I'm not sure if they tried to get H1 thro' PG quota.

All I want to know is if part time or online MS degree is accepted for H1 B or not. I believe this depends on the type of University, but if there is a place where I can check the eligibility criteria, it'll be great.

cheers,
      Senthil.

Comment

Your best bet will be to call up "dept of state" .
        For immigrant visa inquiries, call the National Visa Center at 603-334-0700 or email [email protected]. The Visa Office's e-mail box for quick, general information is: mailto:[email protected] To reach the Kentucky Consular Center, call 606-526-7500.

see the above site. USCIS really cant advise on this even though many of think and it is the dept of state who can talk to you about visas and stuff. The wait time on the phone can be 20 -25 minutes easily, but its worth a wait.
        Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

i wasnt aware that on H4 you can do MS course.i graduated recently so I honestly do not know anything about h4 or dependent visas.but check with dept of state.

Comment

Yes you can study anything on H4, the only caveat is that you cannot work even in school and often not allowed to pay instate fee(varies with state and school). So you have to pay the full fare.

As for which schools and online degree issue i don't think USCIS accredits anything there are other accrediting agencies(Google for them), if a degree is acceptable to most institutions would be fine with USCIS.

Although getting in this late in the game night be difficult

this is where the definitions are
            Last edited by waitin_toolong; 06-28-2007, 11:12 AM.

Comment

o ok.i am on h1, is it possible for me to learn flying? like join a flight school. i know i can do it part time but as per H1 is it ok to do that on the side?any thoughts on this senthil?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X