Moving from England to the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from England to the USA

Hi people. I have just been searching for advice on the internet, and came across this useful website and forum.

My situation is this: A while back I met a girl from Maryland, USA, and we have now decided that it would be nice if I could move over there and work, so we can get a place together.

We have both been doing quite a bit of reading, on the internet, etc, to see how I would go about getting over there. I graduated in Computer Science last year, so from what I understand, the best option for me would be to try and find an employer who is willing to sponsor me, and apply for a H1B visa for me.

I am currently working here in the UK, and plan to pay off some small debts and save a little before I try and make the move to the USA. Therefore I think I will be ready to make the move in around 6 months time - and we have both agreed that 6 months is about the longest we could stand being seperated like this (having to fly back and forth every couple of months to visit each other).

I must admit that the whole process does look very confusing to me, so at the moment I am favouring the option of paying one of those companies setup to help people like me out - namely h1base.com. I was chatting to one of their advisors earlier, and although he was a little difficult to understand, I think that he was trying to tell me than even if I started my application within 6 months time, it would be impossible for me to make the move before April 2008, as I would have to wait until April before the US Government assign the visas to people. This sounds quite upsetting to me, as obviously I would like to be with my girlfriend as quickly as I can .

Any advice that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated, as it seems like there are a lot of "in the know" people on here. Am I persuing the best immigration route for my situation? Is there anything which I can do now to make the whole process quicker/easier in 6 months time, or should I even start the process now?

Many many thanks in advance, Adrian & Erica

Keep looking around this site and others. Dont spend money on consultants, they are often shysters anyway.
    You dont need a consultation company because if you are offered a job, your company will do the paperwork from the US.
    Your best bet is to try to get a transfer from your current company on an L1 visa.
    That of course is if they have office in the States.
    If you are planning on living together and mean to stay together, you could always come over on a Fiance visa. This only gives you a 3 month window, but at least gives you an idea of whether you can live with each other. (smelly socks, toilet lid left up etc.lol. )
    You would have to get married at some time during the 3 months of course and then submit paperwork in the US for permanent residency.
    This way you can then work for who you want to.
    Hope this helps

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X