Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pls help Mr. Subramanya - Name change on I-797

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to get the name amended/corrected on an approved I-797?

Also, how long does the entire process take? Would really appreciate if someone gave me an idea on how to do it.

I need to change the name on the I-797 from maiden name to married name as there is a mismatch between my approved petition and active passport.

Will a letter from the employer explaining the situation help?

Thank you

Name issue

Can someone please tell me how to get the name amended/corrected on an approved I-797?

Also, how long does the entire process take? Would really appreciate if someone gave me an idea on how to do it.

I need to change the name on the I-797 from maiden name to married name as there is a mismatch between my approved petition and active passport.

Will a letter from the employer explaining the situation help?

---- It all depends on the importance of the issue. If you had applied for H1 with your maiden name and now if you want to change file for an amendment with the USCIS. It may take about 2-3 months, during which time you may have to stay in the country

---- A letter from your employer has nothing to do in these matters as this is your personal matter

---- When you say mismatch, what does it mean? Can you elaborate?

Subramanya

Comment

Reply as requested by Mr. Subramanya

My current passport with married name was issued in 2004 after my marriage. My old passport with the maiden name was cancelled during the issue of this current passport in 2004.

During the current H1B processing, due to an error by the attorney, my H1B has been approved with my maiden name, as the attorney applied with the cancelled passport number. I had provided both the passports to them to indicate my previous travel to US.

Now I have an approved petition but am in a dilemma over attending a visa interview due to this error. Since, passport is with married name and petition is with maiden name.

I have both my passports with me along with my marriage certificate.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X