Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 Ssn

Hi friends,

I would in the US on H1 of the current year 2007 in October. My wife and children have obtained their H4 but would be arriving in the US only in December 2007.

I wish to know whether I could apply for the Social Security Number (SSN) for my dependents even before their arrival without their I94.

I do have already my SSN (J1visa) which I could, retain under H1 visa or what ever the INS decides.

I do appreciate all your replies.

Ssn

Hi friends,

I would in the US on H1 of the current year 2007 in October. My wife and children have obtained their H4 but would be arriving in the US only in December 2007.

I wish to know whether I could apply for the Social Security Number (SSN) for my dependents even before their arrival without their I94.

---- There is no SSN issued to dependents. Thus applying for one is a moot point

I do have already my SSN (J1visa) which I could, retain under H1 visa or what ever the INS decides.

---- You can retain this SSN provided you apply after coming to US and the Social Security Office send you a fresh SSN card

Just a query

---- In one post you say that your family is coming in April 2008 and this post calaimthey are coming in December 2007. Whys is there a difference in your own opinion?

Subramanya

Comment

Mr. Subramanya

Mr. Subramanya,

Thanks for asking me a question because it reveals that you are genuinely following up the forum.

Well, just deciding between December and April: December so that children could join the second semester in high school in the US during Jan.2008- April 2008, so that they may finish the academic year in India. Just keeping options open.

Thanks for your interaction.

Just a post script question: could I claim any tax return for my dependents while on H1B, when I get the W2?
      Best regards.

Comment

Since they will not be spending atleast 183 days in USA in 2007 they cannot be claimed as dependents.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X