Job loss / laid off : H1B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job loss / laid off : H1B

Replies to my post regarding what to do after being laid off was that one should transfer from H1B to B2 ( visitor visa ) asap. On a B2, one can then continue to search for jobs, and can apply for transfer back to H1 after finding a new job.

I wanted to ask further if -

1) This transfer of H1 to B2 can be done while being in US? Do i need to leave country & re-enter? Also how long does this process takes?
    2) What if I find a new job in the mean while? Can i apply immediately for a transfer from B2 to H1?
    3) Does this have any negative affect when i apply later for a green card?
    4) Is this the best alternative after loosing a job in case if one is optimistic of getting a new job within 4-6 weeks?

H1 and being Laid off

Replies to my post regarding what to do after being laid off was that one should transfer from H1B to B2 ( visitor visa ) asap. On a B2, one can then continue to search for jobs, and can apply for transfer back to H1 after finding a new job.

I wanted to ask further if -

1) This transfer of H1 to B2 can be done while being in US? Do i need to leave country & re-enter? Also how long does this process takes?

---- No need to leave the country. 3-4 weeks

2) What if I find a new job in the mean while? Can i apply immediately for a transfer from B2 to H1?

---- NO, you will be applying for a transfer from H1 to H1. B2 is only to continue your stay within the US

3) Does this have any negative affect when i apply later for a green card?

---- NO

4) Is this the best alternative after loosing a job in case if one is optimistic of getting a new job within 4-6 weeks?

---- If you find a better alternative go for it

Subramanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X