H1B Extension and Fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Extension and Fee

Hi, my H1B stamping was done in Aug 2006 and the petetion validity is only till MAY 2008(even in the stamping in my passport, it says that validity is till MAY2008) but I could not travel till date for some personal reasons. Would like to get some expert answers from this forum for the below qns:

*) How good or bad is it to travel now (say in Jan' 08).... in a situation where my H1B is close to expiration and and I might have to apply for extension again ?

*) I read in some of the postings that the extension could take as mush as 5 months also. So, can I travel at all ... or apply for a fresh H1B ?

*) Suppose if I could not get the paystubs, the H1B extension cannot be done at all ?

*) Can a US Citizen(brother/sister category) be of any help for me here ? Can they sponsor Green Card for me ? In the current scenario of my H1B ? I think they can't help with the H1B as it is primarily to do with the "employer" ... or can they be of any help ? Can the current H1B visa be used for green card by the US citizen for me (or) do they have to apply for a new I-130 and get a new visa number ?

*) As of today, how much is the cost of H1B extension (including Visa fee + lawyer fee) ... I also read that the lawyer fee is variable but approximately how much would taht be ?

Any quick help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance.

if the H1 job is still open then you can travel and subsequently apply for extension

if you find someone else to sponsor your H1 then you can use that.

Comment

H1B Extension and Fee, GreenCard

Hi, Thanks for the info. I was kinda waiting to see if I get any more replies to the other queries in the msg.
      1) If I go there but if the exnesion processing goes beyond the validity expiration date, would I be considered and illegal immigrant/resident and subject to legal action ?
      2) Can I use this H1B VISA for the purpose of getting greencard processed by my relatives who are US citizens ? Or do they have to start a new processing ?

Thanks,
      Madhu
      Last edited by msd620; 11-19-2007, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Hi Madhu

I am facing a similar situation like in the sense i got my h1b stamped on May 2006 and couldn come to us till nov 07 and i just entered us on nov 25th and i didnt face much questions at the immigration and everything seemed to be normal. It all depends on your employer if he can issue a latest offer letter and also depends what state that you land in. Dont go to states which are higly crowded probably that may help. After coming here then you can go for an extension from here. This is my own personal experience. As far as green card i think they can do it for immediate family members like spouse/parents yet i am not clear just reconfirm.

Hope this helps....

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X