Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full time study on H1b

Hi,

I am currently on H1B and working as Application Analyst. I am planning to do MBA.

Now i am wondering can i go for full time MBA without changing my visa from H1 to F1?

Need your guidance for the same.

Thanks
    Amit

No

Comment

That would be unlawful. You'll need to get on F1 to do that.

Comment

Orion if Amit works from 8 to 4 and MBA classes for fulltime are from say 5 to 10 , He can do MBA and work right?
        My understanding is you can study as long as it doesnt interfere with your work schedule. I mean as long as you work full time and then slog it out going for night classes.this is possible right?
        Correct me if am wrong.
        Anyway I understand Amit wants to do MBA full time which is definitely not possible with H1.
        Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

If you want to keep your H1, you must be in your sponser's pay roll and must get pay check every pay period.

If your employer willing to pay you while you are in full time school, you can be a full time student.

Originally posted by amit_tri
          Hi,

I am currently on H1B and working as Application Analyst. I am planning to do MBA.

Now i am wondering can i go for full time MBA without changing my visa from H1 to F1?

Need your guidance for the same.

Thanks
          Amit

Comment

You can do full time MBA while working. No Problem.

As long as you continue to work for your H1B holding employer , you can do any course...full time (usually night classes) or part time.

I did my full time MS while working.

cheers

Comment

I am sorry for not elaborating enough on my previous post. If full time work can still be maintained and continued while being enrolled in a full time MBA, one can do it without changing status. Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

Study on H1b

Hi friends, i am having H1B and will be joingto work in US in July-08.
                I would like to know can i study with H1B visa. I would like to do MS in Computer Networks. Can you help we with more information as to how can I purse my further studies with H1B visa. Do we have to appear any exams for getting seleted to the colleges. Which colleges in US offers such studies?
                Is it legal to study on H1B visa?
                Thanks in advance.
                Cheers
                vikky.

Comment

Originally posted by vikkyrspu
                  Hi friends, i am having H1B and will be joingto work in US in July-08.
                  I would like to know can i study with H1B visa. I would like to do MS in Computer Networks. Can you help we with more information as to how can I purse my further studies with H1B visa. Do we have to appear any exams for getting seleted to the colleges. Which colleges in US offers such studies?
                  Is it legal to study on H1B visa?
                  Thanks in advance.
                  Cheers
                  vikky.
                  This thread already answers your first question. You need to familiarize yourself with the college selection procedure. Though, you don't intend to be on F1 visa, all procedure is the same except that you need not worry about F1 visa, Sevis fees, I-20 etc.

Most of the university webpage has requirements for eligibility listed under the program.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I have a variation on the original question. I am interested in studying full-time while working part-time. Right now I am switching my H-1B visa to a part-time H-1B. It seems as if this should work, but I am curious what you all think.

Comment

It will work fine.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Does the USCIS need to be informed if one is studying full-time but working part-time?

Also, I heard that the law is vague in this area, but there is some stipulation that whatever study takes place needs to be 'incidental' to the work. What does that mean?

Comment

As long as you are working full time and maintaining your H1b status properly as indicated on the LCA and approved by USCIS, you are free to study for whatever % of your time in addition to your job. No USCIS notifications needed.

Comment

Actually, I will be working part-time. My employer will file an amendment to switch me from a full-time to a part-time worker and I just wonder if in the letter to the USCIS we need to mention that the switch is to allow for full-time studies.

Comment

Can be done. Ask your lawyer.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X