[MATAMOROS] - Successful H1B Stamping Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [MATAMOROS] - Successful H1B Stamping Experience

I would like to share my recent experience of H1B visa stamping at Matamoros, Mexico. Hopefully, this thread can be helpful for others who need it.

Details
    =====

Date of Stamping: December 5th, 2007
    US VISA Requested: H1B (FIRST stamping)
    Appointment time: 9 am
    Degree achieved: Bachelor from US University
    Status chain: F1 - OPT - [Gap] - H1B
    Consular Trip Service used: None (I have someone from my attorney office helping me with transportation)

Documents I brought with me
    ======================

1. Passport (old and recent)
    2. Form DS 156
    3. Form DS 157
    4. OPT card
    5. School Transcripts
    6. H1B filing documents
    7. I-20 (since I have a gap between my OPT expiration date and H1B effective date, I went to community college to bridge this gap)
    8. I-797 (Approval Notice)
    9. Employment Verification Letter / Offer Letter

Tip
    ===
    1. Remember all your documentation!
    2. Come to either Brownsville, TX or Harlingen, TX (cities near the border) a day before your appointment.
    3. You have to pay for visa application fee at BANAMEX (Bank National of Mexico) $1100.00 pesos or about $105 US dollar. Please remember to keep the receipt.
    4. If you fly, I suggest don't buy return ticket immediately. You may need to stay overnight at Matamoros since the VISA processing for Third Country can take up to 24 hours.
    5. DO NOT WORRY if you are late for your appointment. What they care is as long as you have an appointment for that day, you will be able to be interviewed for your visa but I suggest NOT to be late. The earlier you come to the Consulate, the better the chance you get your visa at the same day.
    6. During the interview, only answers the questions they ask. Do not explain too much as they might get confused and will ask you more and more questions.

Experience
    ========

Visa stamping in Matamoros is very simple and easy. You can arrange all of this by your own or you can use Consular Trip Service to help you with the transportation, it is all up to you.

I flew to Harlingen, TX on Dec 4th, 2007 and someone from my attorney's office (Ms. A) came to pick me up. Since I would like to be in the Consulate early the next day, Ms. A helped paying my visa application fee. She dropped me off at the hotel then I gave her my passport and $105.00 USD. She then crossed the border to pay at BANAMEX, then she returned to the hotel and handed me the receipt.

The next day, Dec 5th 2007, she came to pick me up at 8 am at the hotel. We went straight to the US Consulate at Matamoros. I did not use any permit to cross the border. However, effective January 1st, 2008, my attorney said that we will need a "temporary VISA" to cross the border.

At the consulate, she dropped me off and there were a lot of people there. I was very fortunate that she comes to the consulate very often as she knows the people who work there. They allowed me to be in the front of the line and I entered the consulate. Do not bring any electronic devices, cell phone, gums, medicine, cigarette etc since they will throw them away or won't allow you in.

Just after I entered the consulate, the front desk checked my Passport, Receipt from BANAMEX, DS-156, DS-157 and I-797. Then they gave me the "INTERVIEW number". After about 15 minutes waiting, I had my number up on the board. They asked me again for my passport, DS-156, DS-157, I-797. Then they took my picture and fingerprints. After that, I gotta wait for the next interview.

Less than 10 minutes, I got my number up on the board. The guy asked for all the documentations that I previously mentioned above and asked me few questions:

Interviewer: Good morning
    Me: Good morning sir.
    Interviewer: Are you applying for H1B visa?
    Me: Yes sir.
    Interviewer: Can I see that (referring to my passport, DS-156, DS-157, I-797)
    Me: (I gave him the documents)
    Interviewer: For what company are you gonna be working?
    Me: ABC company
    Interviewer: And the job that you are gonna be doing?
    Me: XYZ job
    Interviewer: Are you going to school now?
    Me: Yes.
    Interviewer: Can I see your I-20
    Me: (I gave him my I-20)
    Interviewer: So, you are still going to school. When will you graduate?
    Me: I actually already graduated from JKL University and worked during my OPT for ABC company. I got out from school about a month ago since I am ready to get back to work as soon as my H1B VISA issued.

(I think he understands that I have a gap between my OPT with my H1B, then I need to enrolled in community college)

Interviewer: Can I see your OPT card
    Me: (I gave him my OPT card)
    Interviewer: (he checked the date in OPT card, the date in my current I-20, making sure that I wasn't out of status).
    Interviewer: OK, you should get 3 years for your VISA, but because you come from FGH country, the VISA will be granted for 1 year only. You can come back to the US Consulate if you'd like to renew your VISA after 1 year.
    Me: Alright sir.
    Interviewer: Sometimes VISA processing for Third Country can take up to 24 hours. But, comeback at 2 pm, see if the VISA is ready. If the VISA is ready, they will call your name. Otherwise, be prepare to stay overnight here in Matamoros.
    Me: Thank you very much sir.

At 2 pm, I came back and one guy spotted me and called my name. He asked me to verify my name, DOB, VISA Expiration date. He gave me my Passport with H1B VISA stamped on it! =). Then I called Ms. A to take me to the I-94 Office (CBP - Custom and Border Protection office) to get my new I-94.

Here is the worst part. I walked to the CBP office (located exactly at the border), and paid 30 cents to cross the border. I gave them my passport and waited for 2 hours!!! Nobody was called, nothing happened. Apparently, they had some issues with the fingerprints reader, so I understand that. In the CBP office:

1. My fingerprints recorded
    2. They ask few questions like:
    - Where are you gonna be staying in the US
    - Who is you employer?
    - What are you gonna be exactly doing for your employer?
    3. Paid $6.00 for I-94

then I crossed back to US!!!

That is it... It wasn't as bad as I expected. If anyone has any questions regarding my experience, you are more than welcome to ask and I will be glad to answer.

Cheers,

zer0c00l

Hi ZeroC001,
    First of all, congratulations on your visa stamping. Also, your detailed post is awesome, thanks for the good work.
    Do you know how to get a tempravory visa to get into Mexico? I hope my attorney knows someone like your Ms. A!! Can you give me an idea as to how much money is involved in attorney fees please?
    Thanks!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X