Can I get an H1???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get an H1???

These so-called "degrees" from non-accredited "universities" aren't worth the money you paid for it.
    In other words, they are just a piece of scratch-paper, completely worthless.
    Company certifications like the MCSD may help a person in the workplace (they are sometimes appreciated by clueless managers), but are also completely useless as far as getting a visa is concerned.
    USCIS only cares about degrees from accredited universities and colleges. To be eligible for an H1, you need a degree equivalent to a 4-year US bachelor degree. You can substitute 3 years of relevant work experience for each year missing towards the degree. There are evaluation agencies who determine if the degree and experience match the requirements.

Can I get an H1???

Hi,

I came to the US in 1999 on an F1 visa. I tranfered to an H4 in March 2003. I didn't complete my degree from the University I attended as I was awarded a degree by a Non Accredited University in South Dakota (BS Comp Sc.) on the basis of my previous work experience in Dec. 2000. I have 5+ years of experience from India and hold a Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer designation and a Certified Software Quality professional designation from Indian Institute of Quality Management. I have never been out of status and attended college till December 2002 after which I went to India and applied for the H4 visa and came back on the same. I currently have a job offer and wish to know about my chances of being approved for an H1 visa before I pursue the same. Any information you can provide me will be highly appreciated.

Thanking You,

Sincerely,

Gaurav Bhatia

Comment

Re: Can I get an H1?

Thank you for your reply. FYI, "Comapny Certificates" like MCSD are valued for a reason. It takes quite a bit of hard work to get certified and Managers who appreciate the same are Savvy and not clueless.

Comment

I heard someplace that if the Candidate's education credentials are acceptable to the employer then the INS really doesn't create a problem as long as the candiate can demonstrate that he or she does infact possess the Technical Skills required for the job. I would appreciate some more viewpoints on this subject.

Thanks

G.

Comment

"FYI, "Comapny Certificates" like MCSD are valued for a reason. It takes quite a bit of hard work to get certified and Managers who appreciate the same are Savvy and not clueless."
          I am sorry to burst your bubble a bit, but there are way too many "Company certified" people around (in particular MCSE) who don't know anything except for the book knowledge they worked through for the exam (I once met an MCSE at a customer's place who asked me "what's an IRQ?") Good managers look at the work experience, not some certification. BTW, I was an MCSD as well, because my then employer needed that to keep their MS Certified Partner standing... And at least for me it didn't take hard work to get the cert. I just paid my $100 for each of the exams and went to the testing place without any special preparation... but then, I work with MS products all day long for years...

But in any case, for H1 purposes it definitely is completely irrelevant.

Comment

"I heard someplace that if the Candidate's education credentials are acceptable to the employer then the INS really doesn't create a problem"
            That's wrong. There are lots of rumors around with no grounding in reality whatsoever.
            The law says that the job has to require a college degree and the candidate has to have at least the required degree. USCIS requires a credentials evaluation, and these evaluation agencies check for things like accreditation of the educational institution.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X