Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT: Travelling on OPT after applying for H-1b but before it is approved

Hi all,
    I have graduated with M.S. degree from a top university in US and am on OPT now. I got a job and my employer is applying for my H-1b. I would like to travel to India from April 2 to May 3

If I choose a consular process for F1 to H-1B instead of "status change",
    1) Can I get it stamped in Canada or Mexico, or should I go only to India
    2) What are the odds of getting it done in Canada, Mexico and Chennai consulate
    3) Is it true that we can change the procedure back to "status change" with some fee ?

Regards
    Vamshi

H1 issues

I have graduated with M.S. degree from a top university in US and am on OPT now. I got a job and my employer is applying for my H-1b. I would like to travel to India from April 2 to May 3

If I choose a consular process for F1 to H-1B instead of "status change",
    1) Can I get it stamped in Canada or Mexico, or should I go only to India

---- The Consular processing can only be done form your country of origin. Thus, Canada or Mexico will be out of question

2) What are the odds of getting it done in Canada, Mexico and Chennai consulate

---- No odds. The option that you have is you can go any US Consulate in India, but not Mexico

3) Is it true that we can change the procedure back to "status change" with some fee ?

---- What do you mean by status change? Be clear, precise and specific. Forum members need not do guess work

Subramanya

Comment

---- What do you mean by status change? Be clear, precise and specific. Forum members need not do guess work

I heard there are two processes in which we get get H1b from F1. One is "Status Change" and other is "port of entry / consular".
      In "status change", after applying for H1b, if you don't leave the country then your status gets changed automatically to H1b and you can stay in US even after your OPT expires. But later when you leave the country, you have to get it stamped
      In "port of entry" procedure, you will choose a consulate and if you get approved for H1b, then you have to go to the consulate and get it stamped before your OPT expires. But from what I heard, Chennai consulate is risky to go for stamping.

Also I am not sure if there is any difference between stamping in "status change" procedure and stamping in "port of entry" procedure. Please clarify this

Regards
      Vamshi

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X