Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 and H4 to F1 tax filing

Hello,

Here's my situation. I am on H1B since oct 2006 and have been working till date.
    I got married in April 2007 and my wife entered US in May 2007 on H4 visa. She joined an university for MS in Jan 2008 on H4 visa and later filed for F1 visa. She now received F1 visa in 1st week of March 2008 and is eligible for SSN. She did not work in 2007 and has not started any work yet. She didnot have ITIN before.

My questions are:
    1. I am planning to apply for her SSN and later file the returns using her SSN rather than filing with form W7. Can I do this?

2. Can I file as Married Filing Jointly, irrespective of whether I file with form W7 or with her new SSN?

3. Is there any alternate to Married filing Jointly that is more beneficial in terms fof deductions since she is a student spouse now.

4. If her SSN issuance is delayed can I file for an extension for both Federal and state (Georgia).

5. Whats the procedure to file extension. I got some information online but just wonder if I can file extension online?

Thanks very much for your answers.
    shalli.

Cpa, Irs

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X