Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1-B queries

Hello Guys,

I have been following the forum for about 3 months now ... I have applied for H1-B for the first time. I work for Microsoft India and planning to join a partner in US as a Senior Associate and am not so sure and have a few questions about the process.

I wish there was a detailed sticky explaining the entire process

As the process moves along .... I get more questions, so here are the ones I am worried about now:

1. I know that H1 is filed in first week of April, when do I know about the lottery results?

2. What documents will I need and what documents should he send me?

3. How do I approach the consulate for the visa stamping ? Any tentative dates guys ... it would really help ? Someone told me that the lottery results come out in May but interviews start in October ? I am not sure how the timeline is set ?

4. How do I proceed after I know that my name is in the lottery? My offer letter has the 1st of October as the starting date .... I am not sure if I can join on the 1st of October ? How long does it take after the lottery to the visa stamping ?

5. Does he need client sign off letters stating which projects I will work on ... the company is planning to hire me as a permanent employee and not so sure which projects will I start with .. they will see which projects to put me in after I reach there ... is that a problem ?

6. If I have an interview I am anticipating one question .... I did my B.S. in the US from IIT, chicago and came back in 2004, after one year working on my OPT since I wasn't able to find an H1-B sponsor .... what if the interviewer asks me ... why did I come back ... what should I say ... and he might also ask .. why do you want to go back now ?

6. Finally, the most important question of all.... what are the chances that the H1-B will be rejected even after my name appears in the lottery, since I work for Microsoft, I am presuming I will have to resign by July 15 and server the 45 day notice period and leave by September beginning. Can I keep working with Microsoft even when I am going for my interview ? I am not so sure about that ?

I am sorry for the long list of questions but I don't have any mentor to seek help ... and the company is filing an H1-B for the first time ... even though they have a good lawyer ... not so sure about how things are going to move forward ... any help would be great
    Last edited by gemini_shooter; 03-29-2008, 09:08 PM.

H1 Lottery

I have been following the forum for about 3 months now ... I have applied for H1-B for the first time. I work for Microsoft India and planning to join a partner in US as a Senior Associate and am not so sure and have a few questions about the process.

I wish there was a detailed sticky explaining the entire process

As the process moves along .... I get more questions, so here are the ones I am worried about now:

1. I know that H1 is filed in first week of April, when do I know about the lottery results?

---- Depending on your type of application (premium or normal) from one week to 3 months

2. What documents will I need and what documents should he send me?

---- Until the H1 is approved and you receive an approval notice, there are no documents that you have to give to anyone

3. How do I approach the consulate for the visa stamping ? Any tentative dates guys ... it would really help ? Someone told me that the lottery results come out in May but interviews start in October ? I am not sure how the timeline is set ?

---- Only after receiving the approval notice you can seek an appointment with a US Consulate for a Visa interview. The approval notice will take 2-3 months to come to you

4. How do I proceed after I know that my name is in the lottery? My offer letter has the 1st of October as the starting date .... I am not sure if I can join on the 1st of October ? How long does it take after the lottery to the visa stamping ?

---- As above the approval notice will decide everthing. Application received will be notified to you by a receipt notice

5. Does he need client sign off letters stating which projects I will work on ... the company is planning to hire me as a permanent employee and not so sure which projects will I start with .. they will see which projects to put me in after I reach there ... is that a problem ?

---- Yes, these days all such details are amust since nobody knows what you are going to do while in the US

6. If I have an interview I am anticipating one question .... I did my B.S. in the US from IIT, chicago and came back in 2004, after one year working on my OPT since I wasn't able to find an H1-B sponsor .... what if the interviewer asks me ... why did I come back ... what should I say ... and he might also ask .. why do you want to go back now ?

---- Nobody has time for all such questions. They are looking into the future and ascertaining if your credentials match the requirements and the credibility of the employer

6. Finally, the most important question of all.... what are the chances that the H1-B will be rejected even after my name appears in the lottery, since I work for Microsoft, I am presuming I will have to resign by July 15 and server the 45 day notice period and leave by September beginning. Can I keep working with Microsoft even when I am going for my interview ? I am not so sure about that ?

---- Chances for rejection --- 100 % Chances for Visa approval --- 100%. In summary there is no guarantee for anything

---- The company that you work for has no relevance to the US Consulate. You work for them or leave has no meaning to anyone. That is your personal matter. As far as resignation and other matters are concerned that is purely on your relationship and negotiation with the company with whom you are working for

---- In conclusion, the only option you have is apply for H1 as per the rules and await the approval and then proceed. Until then keep your fingers crossed. It is a lottery and the chances are as per the rules and regulations of USCIS

Subramanya

Comment

Thanks a lot Subramanya. That really helped.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X