Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1-b want to convert to F-1

Hello,
    I'm currently on H1-b for about 2 yrs and 5 months. I have been accepted to an MBA program and I would like to go there full-time leaving my H1-b visa and changing to F-1. What are the implications when I do that? What do I need to do to change to F-1? After MBA, when I seek employment again, will I go back into the pool of H1-b quota? How difficult will it be to change my status from H1-b to F-1 and then back to h1-B later after graduate school?

Thanx.

You need to file I-539 to change your status to F-1.
    /show-form/i-539

After MBA, if you want to get H1 for remainder of your 6 years, you will not be subject to quota. If you want fresh 6 years of H1, you will be subject to quota. Your choice.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by immihelp
      If you want fresh 6 years of H1, you will be subject to quota. Your choice.
      This new 6 yr term is only possible if the OP spends 1 yr outside the U.S before entering on H1 after the new cap-subject H1 is approved.

Since the MBA is done in the U.S. and the OP will be in the U.S., he/she will have to go with the remainder option assuming he/she will not like to spend 1 yr outside the U.S.

I personally wouldn't worry about getting the 6 yrs in this situation as extensions beyond six yrs are possible with the 365 days pending Labor/approved I-140.
      Last edited by DMX17; 04-10-2008, 10:33 AM.
      Check out H1 FAQs first!
      http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Thank You so much for your replies. So then I don't have to worry about going back into the quota pool when I get my h1-b after grad school.

Comment

Originally posted by rani2005
          Thank You so much for your replies. So then I don't have to worry about going back into the quota pool when I get my h1-b after grad school.
          If you got selected and approved for H1b this time, you are cap exempt.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X