Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company doesn't sponsor H1B

Hi All

I am on F-1 doing my MS from a reputed US university and have 7+ years work experience in my area of work/research too. During these 7 years, I worked for a US based company in its India office for 2 years. I now want to apply for full-time with this company in its US office. Its a product based company with very good employee friendly policies unlike service based companies. However, I have heard from an ex-employee (from the India office) who wanted to work in its US office that they don't sponsor H1Bs.

I don't know whether this company doesn't sponsor H1Bs for India based employees (else everyone from the India office will start demanding H1B) or whether it doesn't sponsor H1Bs at all. Is there a way to find whether this company does sponsor H1B for F-1 students or not?

I don't want to communicate with the HR right now as I feel it might scuttle my chances to secure employment there. Therefore I am planning to call them anonymously and get this confirmed - is this okay? Is there any better way to confirm this? Should I go ahead and apply for full-time right away?

If I find that it doesn't sponsor H1Bs at all, then:

1. Can I get a H1B from a consultant but work in this company? From what I have heard, there are consultants who sponsor H1Bs but then one would have to work for them for a certain time period like 1 yr. I am looking for H1B consultants who could file H1B for me (in April 2009) and I would pay for all charges but want to work for this company if they give me an offer.

2. Should I tell this company that if they do not sponsor H1B at all, that I can secure a H1B from a consultant and then work for them.

Thanks in advance

First, check this to determine if the company hires on H-1B:

Second, try to get an interview first. They might give you this chance since already have company experience. In the interview ask the HR about H1. Be truthful on the resume/online application and stuff.

Avoid the consultant route unless you like troubles (or challenges depending on who you look at it )
    Last edited by DMX17; 04-10-2008, 08:38 PM.
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

What a contrast

---- Use your negotiating skills to talk to the next company or consultant or body shopper whatever that term is and will be (depending on how you define it)

---- Anonymous calls to your present company HR is old trick that everyone has tested and tried. At best you can get a positive answer, but after that you will not be able to proceed to apply for a H1 as they have already decided to deal with candidates such as you.

---- If you try and make them submit to your wishes, later you will succumb to their wishes. The choice is yours.

---- If you feel you are educated, qualified, capable and experienced all these queries will never come to the forum and you would have dealt with them on your own

---- Show some maturity in what you want and deal accordingly with the business on hand and not that if I do this and if I do that

---- Ultimately with whom you will be employed may not become your choice and once you lose the race you will appear nowhere in th forums, despite all your assertions and statements

Subramanya

Comment

Thanks DMX17 for that website.

Yes that company has filed for 6 H1B petitions in 2006 for FY 2007.

But the dates associated with the entries look weird to me. As per my understanding, companies file the petition on 1st April 2006 for a start date of 1st Oct 2006 to 30th Sep 2009 (3 yrs validity).

This company has following dates for a few positions:

Submitted date: 06/27/2006
        Begin date: 6/28/2006
        End date: 6/26/2007
        DOL decision: 6/27/2006
        Certified Begin date: 6/28/2006
        Certified End date: 6/26/2007

What does this imply? What do the above dates signify?

Secondly there is a prevailing wage for each of the entry - what is this?

Thanks in advance man!

Comment

Originally posted by Subramanya
          ---- Use your negotiating skills to talk to the next company or consultant or body shopper whatever that term is and will be (depending on how you define it)

---- Anonymous calls to your present company HR is old trick that everyone has tested and tried. At best you can get a positive answer, but after that you will not be able to proceed to apply for a H1 as they have already decided to deal with candidates such as you.

---- If you try and make them submit to your wishes, later you will succumb to their wishes. The choice is yours.

---- If you feel you are educated, qualified, capable and experienced all these queries will never come to the forum and you would have dealt with them on your own

---- Show some maturity in what you want and deal accordingly with the business on hand and not that if I do this and if I do that

---- Ultimately with whom you will be employed may not become your choice and once you lose the race you will appear nowhere in th forums, despite all your assertions and statements

Subramanya
          God alone knows in what context have you replied - neither me nor anyone else could extract even an iota of useful information from your comments. Think twice before posting comments - not all who seek queries are uneducated, not qualified or incapable as per your response. I have secured admission in U Cal Berkeley for PhD in Computer Science starting Fall 2008 but yes, I am new to US visa rules and hence seeking information from people who know more than me - nothing wrong in that. This forum is for seeking queries and providing helpful comments, not to degrade or display your seniority on a forum in an ostentatious manner.

God Bless ya!

Comment

Thanks DMX17 for that website.

Yes that company has filed for 6 H1B petitions in 2006 for FY 2007.

But the dates associated with the entries look weird to me. As per my understanding, companies file the petition on 1st April 2006 for a start date of 1st Oct 2006 to 30th Sep 2009 (3 yrs validity).

This company has following dates for one of them:

Submitted date: 06/27/2006
            Begin date: 6/28/2006
            End date: 6/26/2007
            DOL decision: 6/27/2006
            Certified Begin date: 6/28/2006
            Certified End date: 6/26/2007

The above shows H1 valid for just 1 year? Some of them are for 3 yrs though but how is the above just for 1 year? What does this imply?

Thanks in advance man!
            Last edited by love_eternal; 04-11-2008, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Those are LCA dates and they have to be a superset of H1b dates. LCA approval is done much before H1b application and the validity of H1b cannot go beyond LCA validity dates.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by love_eternal

Thanks in advance man!
                The prevailing wage is a number determined by the DOL for specific job. You salary must be equal to or greater than the prevailing wage.

The dates, as txh1b explained, are the LCA start-end dates. The case details you posted might be of an LCA for an H1 transfer or might as well be a brand new H1.

UC Berkeley huh? Enjoy your PhD.
                Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

Thank you DMX17 and txh1b for your prompt responses.

Its not the end of the world for me, but this company does very good work, some of which I know and I like it too. This is the reason I want to join it.

I think they fear that people leave them after getting H1b. What are my options if this company refuses to file a H1 petition for me?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

The company that you like is not the only company. There are plenty others. If they don't want to give you a job, someone else may and you move on.
                    Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X