Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tortured by H1B question - renew or transfer

Dear Folks,

I beg of you to help answer an H1B question that has been torturing my head:

I am a Filipino citizen with an H1B visa with Company A (expiring 9/30/08 - this is my first 3 years ). I have never traveled out of the US (per advise of my immigration lawyer) so I never got the stamp and such. Company A also sponsored my green card application. My labor certification was filed on 07/26/2006. My I-140 has been approved. My I-485 has been filed and has been pending for more than 180 days; however, I would prefer to keep my H1B visa status than work on EAD card.

I just started my search for a new job; thus I have no offers at this point. However, it is my objective to fix my immigration status such that it will be less painful for future employers to consider hiring me. I have not broached the topic of renewing my H1B with Company A because I was under the notion that I could just find another employer who will take care of renewing my H1B; thereby sparing Company A of the expense and trouble of renewing me. After speaking to a few people, I realize that it might be easier for my future employer, Company B if I already renewed my H1B visa with Company A and then just file for a transfer later with Company B.

Could you please share your best opinion on what I should do -- considering processing times, etc?

Many thanks. I appreciate all your help.

Originally posted by auntie_tuti
    After speaking to a few people, I realize that it might be easier for my future employer, Company B if I already renewed my H1B visa with Company A and then just file for a transfer later with Company B.
    That is not true. Each H1b application (for renewal or a transfer) is a new application that is not subject to the cap in the eyes of USCIS provided all 6 years were not used. It does not make it easy or hard for the company if it is a transfer or a renewal as the job has to qualify for the job in both the cases and it just extends your stay in the US.

H1b can be renewed 6 months in advance by company A and company B can opt to transfer the H1b by filing a petition before the end of your I-94.

Bottomline, it does not matter to you if you renew it first and transfer it or transfer it directly.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Dear Txh1b,

Thanks so much for your response. I am not clear about something.

Since my H1B is not expiring for another 5 months (9/30/08), if I transfer to Company B now will they have to apply for renewal in 5 months or does the transfer application automatically extend my H1B for another 3 years (since I've only used up 3 years so far).

In other words, will Company B end up having to file 2 applications, a transfer now and a renewal in 5 months?

Thanks so much

Comment

It doesn't work that way. A company, when they transfer can decide to renew your H1b for a max period of 3 years and they need not do it for 5 months first and again renew it. They may have to renew for time left on your H1b after the 3 years again.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by auntie_tuti
          Dear Txh1b,

Since my H1B is not expiring for another 5 months (9/30/08), if I transfer to Company B now will they have to apply for renewal in 5 months or does the transfer application automatically extend my H1B for another 3 years (since I've only used up 3 years so far).
          The answer is "the transfer application automatically extends my H1B for another 3 years (since I've only used up 3 years so far)."

So if you apply for a transfer, the new I-797 and I-94 will be valid for roughly 3 years.
          Last edited by DMX17; 04-26-2008, 12:10 PM.
          Check out H1 FAQs first!
          http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Dear DMX17 and txh1b,

Thanks so much for your response. Let me see if I got this right. If you were in my shoes, the least expensive and least painful way to go would be:

From now to say, early September - look for a new employer. When I find one, I should ask them to apply for H1B visa transfer (while I am still working at Company A) and use max 3 years for start date/end date (so it's automatically "renewed")

If I don’t find a new employer, say by early September, I should ask Company A to renew my H1B visa for max three years. I can still continue the search for a new employer, nonetheless.

Did I get that right?

If I got the above right, please answer the following questions:
            (1) Until what time would it be safe to wait before renewing my current H1B with Company A? Is the 30 days I allotted in above example safe and sufficient?

(2) If I choose to renew my H1B with Company A now and suddenly, I find a new employer (Company B), can Company B still apply for my transfer while renewal with Company A is pending? If so, at what point can they apply for the transfer? Must I wait until renewal goes thru with Company A?

Thanks so much again. God Bless you guys!

Comment

You got it right. Company B can apply for a transfer while a renewal of company A is in progress. The H1b fee has to be paid by the employer. The renewal from any company is dependent on the length of the labor certification. If the LCA is valid for 3 years, you get a 3 year extension. If it is for 2 years, then you get a 2 yr extension.

Look up the H1b FAQs to educate yourself about the H1b visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X