Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 Stamping

Hi,

My address in payroll and bank account shows troy, MI address. I am indiana since 2007. My utility bills, house lease agreement everything shows indiana address. Even though I am Indiana, I am paying Michigan tax. Next month I am planning to go to india for stamping. Will I get any problem in stamping.

You should be paying taxes based on your residency requirements not based on where your employer deducts taxes. The right thing to do would be to claim NR status in MI, get a tax refund. File for taxes in IN, pay taxes there.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

H1 Stamping

I agree with you. My concern is about stamping not the tax payment.

Comment

Depends on the VO and how keen they are. Might go unnoticed during stamping.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Whats the best way to handle that situation

Comment

Originally posted by renga78
            Whats the best way to handle that situation
            I already mentioned it in my first post. For the long run, it is best for now and also for the future and green card process. Look up the state tax website on how to amend the returns.May involve some penalty from the states that you did not pay tax to while you were supposed to.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X