Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport expiring in 4 months - travel to US

Hi guys:

Currently I am in India. I will be travelling to US in May and my passport would be getting expired in October (so that 5 months validity to my passport). But I do hold valid VISA to US which will expire in 2009.

Does any of you or your friends had any issues while emigrating India when passport validity is less than 6months?

Any response would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
    Tina

Originally posted by sankys
    Hi guys:

Currently I am in India. I will be travelling to US in May and my passport would be getting expired in October (so that 5 months validity to my passport). But I do hold valid VISA to US which will expire in 2009.

Does any of you or your friends had any issues while emigrating India when passport validity is less than 6months?

Any response would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
    Tina
    Hi Tina

I beleive when you enter US you need a passport which has more than 6 months of validity. I know its a must when you are applying for Visa's for most of the countries.

Since your passport is getting expired in October, why don't you renew your passport and when you travel to US carry both the new and the old passport with you. Your old passport with the US visa will still hold good.

Regards

Ranjit

Comment

Originally posted by jango
      Hi Tina

I beleive when you enter US you need a passport which has more than 6 months of validity. I know its a must when you are applying for Visa's for most of the countries.
      That is incorrect. Passport validity of 6 months is not needed when you enter US. It is only for visa stamping that you need 6 months validity.

More here.

If you are entering on a H1b, it is better to have the passport renewed and enter (your visa from old passport will still be valid and no restamping needed). Most of the time, the POE officer will issue the I-94 to expire on passport expiration date instead of your visa/petition date which will make you go through the hassle of early renewal of the H1b.
      Last edited by txh1b; 04-30-2008, 10:26 AM.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Passport expiring in 4 months - travel to US

Thanks guys. there is still one confusion - what about at the port of EXIT i.e. India? Will they create any issue there?

Comment

Originally posted by sankys
          Thanks guys. there is still one confusion - what about at the port of EXIT i.e. India? Will they create any issue there?
          No. I don't think there is any such rule on the Indian side as well. My friend recently travelled from India who had less than 2 months validity remaining on his PP.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Doubts

But how do you justify when I say that : if I have a certain VISA valid till 2010 on a passport which is valid till 2008. I apply for a NEW PASSPORT which will make my old PASSPORT as "CANCELLED". In other words, OLD PASSPORT containing VISA valid till 2010 also stands CANCELLED!!
            Any takers on this??

Comment

The visas in passport that is canceled are still valid. You just need to carry both passports. The Indian embassy clearly stamps the old passport saying ALL VALID VISAS REMAIN VALID.
              Last edited by txh1b; 05-30-2008, 10:06 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X