Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !Help Needed! Travel abroad with 2 month of valid visa and H1B

I have few questions.

1 My visa is going to expire jan 2009. My company is applying for visa extension for next 3 year term. I have to travel abroad nov 2008. While returning i will have valid 2 months of visa. Will there be any issue in immigration. Should i get visa stamping before returning.

2 If i get my H1B extension approved can i get stamping from canada or mexico before going to india this nov. Is it possible to get visa stamping before the expiration of current visa?

Please respond....
    Thanks
    -Prasanna

1. You can enter as long as the visa is unexpired (No need to get a new visa if your visa valid). Make sure you use the I-797 that shows your Extension is approved and get the I-94 that is valid based on your extended petition. Look up Last Action Rule.

2. Yes you can if you want and if you have the extended I-797 with longer validity. They may send you back to your home country if they cannot evaluate your education (US education - No Problem). Many have done it successfully though. Remember, the new H1 visa stamp may be for a maximum of 3 years from the date you appear. This means that your visa will expire before your term expires which may/may not be issue.

Read about visa and status on immihelp.
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Originally posted by trprasanna

2 If i get my H1B extension approved can i get stamping from canada or mexico before going to india this nov. Is it possible to get visa stamping before the expiration of current visa?
      I have done this in the past and the new visa was issued until end of extension I797 date. Essentially, my H1b was valid for more than 3 years with a combination of Current I797 + extension I797. I submitted both during the visa interview.

At the pre-boarding clearance in Canada, they issued me I-94 till DOE of my first I-797 (3 months I-94) which irritated me. I went to deferred inspection office upon landing and got the I-94 date changed till the end of my extension petition. The officer consulted with his supervisor, made copies of my I797s and annotated the I-94 with his badge number and his supervisor's name.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
        I have done this in the past and the new visa was issued until end of extension I797 date. Essentially, my H1b was valid for more than 3 years with a combination of Current I797 + extension I797. I submitted both during the visa interview.
        So, there in no rule that the H1 visa has to be valid less than or equal to 3 years. I did't know. Thanks for correcting me.
        Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

Thanks!!!

Thanks Guys!!
          That was really helpful
          -Prasanna

Comment

re: Travel abroad question

Since i will be having 2 months of valid visa and H1B while returning, can i file my H1B renewal after i come back from India.
            Will there be any issue at immigration while coming back with 2 month of visa and H1B remaining?

Thanks
            -Prasanna

Comment

No problem.
              Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Travel to India with OLD Visa

Hi

I am planning to go to India and will return on 18Sep2010. I have valid stamped H1B visa till 29Sep2010 with my previous employer X. Now I have been working for new employer Y since Jul '2009. I have got approved 797 and have all paystubs since then. Do I need to go for visa stamping in India with new 797 or I should be able to enter US with my previous company's stamped visa?

Any quick reply is very much appreciated.

Thanks
                  Sreeni

Comment

This is a very basic question and you can find the answer in the FAQ section. As long as you have a valid H1B visa (irrespective of the employer for whom it got approved), you can enter U.S with a valid H1B petition.

Originally posted by Sreeni View Post
                    Hi

I am planning to go to India and will return on 18Sep2010. I have valid stamped H1B visa till 29Sep2010 with my previous employer X. Now I have been working for new employer Y since Jul '2009. I have got approved 797 and have all paystubs since then. Do I need to go for visa stamping in India with new 797 or I should be able to enter US with my previous company's stamped visa?

Any quick reply is very much appreciated.

Thanks
                    Sreeni
                    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X