Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in Last Name : Indian Consulate New York

Hi Folks,

I have a question regarding change in last name for my wife in her Passport. I am on H1-B and she is on H4. We both hold Indian Passport. So the scenario is like this :

My name is Abhishek Bachchan and her name is Aishwarya Rai. H4 on her passport is stamped in the name of Aishwarya Rai. Also we applied for her H1B which is still awaited. We are going to Indian COnsulate New York to change her last name from Rai to Bacchan. So if am correct after her last name change she will recieve a new passport in the name of Aishwarya Bachchan and also her currrent passport will be returned which is in the name of Aishwarya Rai.

So my question is, if she receives her H1B then how it will affect the stamping process as her H1B is applied with her current last name.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated by the Bachchans family

Thanks...

Based on your very good example and given that Aishwarya Rai is "very independent" and would like continue as such (at least in theory), she does not have to change the Last name in passport.

It's okay to NOT change Last name and keep all the records in the U.S. and elsewhere consitent with the Maiden name. This saves you a lot of time and hassle. Keep using her Maiden name and it's not a probelm. I hope Abhishek Bachchan is okay with it.
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Originally posted by user777
      We are going to Indian COnsulate New York to change her last name from Rai to Bacchan. .
      Just to point out, you have a spelling mistake above. Don't make Amitabh upset.
      Check out H1 FAQs first!
      http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X