Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Portability Issues

A few questions regarding H1B transfer:

1. How successful is an H1 transfer if it is to a DIFFERENT field, different industry, and different job function?

Background: I have a BS in Engineering from a US university and have been working on H1B for 2.5 years now. I currently work as an engineer but now have an offer to work in financial services as an investment analyst. I do not have a specific degree in finance but I do have experience in an industry that the firm needs specialized investment help with.

Will my H1B transfer be a problem? If that goes through, will I have issues when it comes time to renew my H1B? Will I have any problems when I try to get my H1B visa stamped?

I would really appreciate some input.

It used to be possible earlier and now USCIS has been strict. No one can tell other than trying it out yourself. It may or may not be possible depending on your Adjudicating officer.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      Any idea about how important experience is vs. degree qualifications?

Comment

Does your engineering experience have any application in the Investments field?

It would not hurt trying and presenting the best case.
        Check out H1 FAQs first!
        http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X