H1B for Phd in Psychology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B for Phd in Psychology

I am a PHd in Phycology and looking for the information on how can I apply for H1B. I need a job of Professor/Lecturer in any University in USA.

You do not apply for a H1b, the employer does. Once you find a job, the University will sponsor the H1b and such ones are usually not subject to the yearly cap.
    higheredjobs.com is a good place to start.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Is the University as a employer can sponsor for H1b or they only need a Green Card holder. Is there any other site where I can find a job related to H1B for the university and then apply.

Comment

Many Universities sponsor H1bs.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

The "Chronicle of Higher Education" has the most comprehensive listing of openings at universities. It requires that you be a subscriber to access most features of the website.

Most faculty positions for 2008-09 have already been filled. Entry level tenure track positions are extremely competitive in many specialties. Also many universities do not have the funding to bring in scholars from abroad for interviews and will not hire someone unless they are interviewed on campus. Be aware of those issues as you are making your plans.

You might want to pursue a post-doc position as opposed to a faculty position at this time in order to be more available for future job interviews.

Comment

Thanks. I am in US and currently on H4. So Giving interview onsite will not be a problem.

What are the process for applying for the Post-Doc in a university. Is there is any link where I can get more information on what are the process, how to apply, and what are the requirements etc.

Also I heard that I can clear some Licenses to join some psychology counseling center to pursue my carrier. Is it true? If yes, then do those people sponsor H1?

Comment

Psyc private practice definitely requires licensing. I suspect sponsorship of H1B varies by organization. I don't find there to be a shortage of practitioners since the field includes social workers licensed to do counseling as well.

Psyc is not my area of interest so I do not know which professional organizations or journals have the greatest number of postings for assistantships/post docs etc.Your best option is to approach the university where you live and speak with the department to see what they have available that might be available to you.

Your local community college may have more opportunities than a university for teaching opportunities; they should be able to sponsor a cap-exempt H1B - perhaps even a part-time one.

One option that might be of interest in order to keep current is to look at the requirements for psyc technicians at a hospital or mental health facility which is able to sponsor a cap-exempt H1B. This would require a background check but may not require a license. I know individuals with US BS in psyc that have done this while studing for advanced degree.

Another area to look at that would probably give you an opportunity to work sooner is to look for a support position at the university in something such as advising; they would be able to sponsor a cap-exempt H1B while giving you easy access to educational opportunities at the university.

While these options are not likely to be something you would do long term, it will give you an entry into the professional community and time to assess your other options.

Comment

Originally posted by C4us
                Your local community college may have more opportunities than a university for teaching opportunities; they should be able to sponsor a cap-exempt H1B - perhaps even a part-time one.
                Clarification, Community colleges by themselves will not be able to sponsor cap-exempt H1bs. They need to be affiliated with a higher education institutes like University or contribute to the research of a University or non-profit organization.

Only higher ed schools can sponsor cap-exempt H1bs.

Comment

Doctorate Candidacy

Thanks. I am in US and currently on H4. So Giving interview onsite will not be a problem.

What are the process for applying for the Post-Doc in a university. Is there is any link where I can get more information on what are the process, how to apply, and what are the requirements etc.

Also I heard that I can clear some Licenses to join some psychology counseling center to pursue my carrier. Is it true? If yes, then do those people sponsor H1?

---- With a Ph.D in your field you should be able to source all opportunities and avenues by now if you are in the US

---- For a process --- There is no defined process for anything including Post doc positions. One way is to look for advertisements on the bulletin boards, subject oriented journals and magazines, direct contact with the professors of a University, College and Research Institutions and other places of higher education and research

---- One way of contacting these professors or faculty members is by cold calling and putting forward your candidature and basically marketing yourself. Imagine that you are a product and you are looking for a consumer and the faculty is your consumer

---- Contact the University directly and seek positions. After a few trials you will know the ins and outs of these matters and you can be on your way

---- Seeking a faculty position may be a bit more daunting task as you may have had your Ph.D from a different country and accepting that is a bit of an issue till the day you prove your credentials to the core group of that institution

---- In summary try all possible ways and explore diversified avenues to get to your destination

---- For your information the undersigned sought a position at a University in the US with a Ph.D (in a different field) from India while residing in India. Later secured the position, became a faculty member (all this on J1 Visa status) but left to the industry with a H1 for various reasons

---- The road is winding but negotiable and achievable. Further questions and concerns post them to your hearts content

Subramanya

Comment

Subramanya,

I found it interesting that you mentioned a faculty position on J1. Everyone I know as "faculty" has been H1B. Was it a research or teaching faculty, visiting or regular appointment? It opens a whole new group of opportunities when not limited to H1B sponsors. What are the keys to identify positions without the 2 year HRR?

Comment

Teaching and Research

Subramanya,

I found it interesting that you mentioned a faculty position on J1. Everyone I know as "faculty" has been H1B. Was it a research or teaching faculty, visiting or regular appointment? It opens a whole new group of opportunities when not limited to H1B sponsors. What are the keys to identify positions without the 2 year HRR?

---- It will not be a full time faculty position nor tenure track positions and other terms that are used. You can join as a Research Associate (although most of the time it is after a brief stint of PDF) and similar positions where in you are given teaching assignments. These teaching assignments are termed as Faculty positions and thats where you gain exprience and learn to know the roots of how matters work out

---- These teaching assignments may be for summer students most of the time, but it is a foot in the door, while you continue your research project. Not all Universities offer these kind of positions, but you have to enquire and be on the look out

Subramanya

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

I know that different universities have staff members show up in different ways. I know someone who was a non-teaching professional staff member who was like an instructor on a continuing appointment, interviewed for a comparable position as a tenure track appointment and took a higher position as an administrator without the tenure track. Confusing to say the least!

I'm sure it is helpful to the OP as well. At least she now has a number of ideas of other options to pursue short term.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X