Challenging Question - California Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenging Question - California Driving

I arrived in California 90 days back on a client project.
    I have taken employment (H1B Visa) with a consulting firm and my base office is Philadelphia.
    I am staying in hotel & would be in California only for 30-60 days more and after that going back to my home country.
    I am not paying any rent anywhere in USA.
    I have a valid India Driving license.
    IDP is not required in California if your home country license is in English, mine is in English and i do not have an IDP.

I am confused whether I can start driving in California or not? I am comfortable driving in USA because of my earlier trips to other USA states

On a H1b, you have accepted and established a temporary residence in the US. You need to get a US DL from any state that you want to call your home currently. Does not matter where your employer is located.

California requires one to have a state DL within 10 days of the move if you establish a residence or take up a job, which you have(Atleast when I used to live there).

It’s important to renew driver’s licenses (DLs), identification (ID) cards, and provisional instruction permits before they expire.

You can choose to drive on Indian DL, it will cost you an arm and leg to insure your car.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

What is temporary residency, can you please provide a URL for this definition as well. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

The DMV website is clear about it. What are you doing in California? Working right? That means you have taken up a job.

- When are you California Resident?
        - Do I need to obtain a California driver's licence? The DMV
        website says:

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver
        license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state
        without getting a California driver license as long as your home state
        license remains valid.

If you take a job here or become a resident, you must get a California
        driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a
        California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's
        property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily
        extended to nonresidents.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

International Driving Licence

My brother is in Los Angeles on H1b for the last one year and he was allowed to drive in California on the International Driving Licence which is valid for 6 months.
          Dont worry thats not the issue!

Comment

Originally posted by gbadrain

Nobody comes and gets you if a DL or the address on DL is not changed. Problem comes knocking on the door in the unfortunate event of an accident or a ticket.

In your best interest, follow the law and the rules and not look for workarounds. If one is eligible for a DL and knows how to drive, what is stopping him/her from getting a DL with proper authorities evaluating and certifying the driving skills of the person instead of risking other peoples lives without proper DL from the US?

Comment

Originally posted by gbadrain
              My brother is in Los Angeles on H1b for the last one year and he was allowed to drive in California on the International Driving Licence which is valid for 6 months.
              IDP is not a valid document in California. Basically as per DMV, IDP is useless if the original license is in English.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
                Nobody comes and gets you if a DL or the address on DL is not changed. Problem comes knocking on the door in the unfortunate event of an accident or a ticket.

In your best interest, follow the law and the rules and not look for workarounds. If one is eligible for a DL and knows how to drive, what is stopping him/her from getting a DL with proper authorities evaluating and certifying the driving skills of the person instead of risking other peoples lives without proper DL from the US?
                Dude, Understood, so basically your response is biased since you concerned with risking of lives etc etc. usual bakwas. since i know driving i am not risking my or anyone elses life, the only reason for not going for license is, i do not have enough time, i am here for only 30 more days and it does not make sense to get a license if not required.

Comment

Originally posted by tipto
                  Dude, Understood, so basically your response is biased since you concerned with risking of lives etc etc. usual bakwas.
                  On a public forum, use a language that is understood by everyone. What is the bias? I fail to see any bias in my answer. If you have time or not, is irrelevant. People make time for it.

As per the DMV rules, the license needs to be obtained. End of story!

Comment

Originally posted by tipto
                    IDP is not a valid document in California. Basically as per DMV, IDP is useless if the original license is in English.
                    You talk about DMV rules in one place and talk about violating them else where, Do I see a bias here?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X