F1 to H1 without OPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 to H1 without OPT

I am currently on F1 visa finishing up my PhD. I am starting a job on Aug 16th as a lecturer in a state university. I wanted to (and going to ) apply for OPT. Looking at the processing time I think it is highly possible that I wont have my OPT by employment start date. since its a teaching position there is no flexibility in start date.

My employer will be processing H1 for me anyways. Can they process me right now with start date of Aug 16 in which case I wont need OPT.

I just don't know whether someone can go from F1 to H1 right away without OPT. If possible how soon can my employer start the H1 process and how long does it take to get approved.

You do not have to request OPT if you do not need it. It is just a benefit of a student visa.

You can apply for H1-B right away, since your position is most likely exempt from numerical caps. H1-B approval takes about 2 to 3 months I guess. But if you pay 1000 dollars more, you can get it in 2 weeks through premium processing. You can pay for premium processing yourself. You can also upgrade to premium processing at a later stage.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X