H1 to H4 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 to H4 conversion

I am currently working on H1B visa, and would like to quit my job soon. I want to convert to H4. Meanwhile, due to a personal emergency I need to make a trip to India.
    I am employed full time currently and have all required W2, paystubs etc in order. I am planning to give a 2 week notice to my employer.
    I have few questions regarding this situation:
    1) When should I be filing for H4 visa? Is it better to file for status change after I leave US or while in US?
    2) Will I have any issues when I go to consulate (chennai) for H4 stamping?

One final question:
    3) I would like to pursue my studies after returning to US on H4 via extension school. Can one be on H4 and enroll in extension programs? I check with the university but they are not aware. They asked me to check with USCIS. How do I contact them?

Any leads will be highly appreciated. Thanks much for your time.

1. COS is considered abandoned if travel happens after filing. As you are going on a trip abroad, the easiest, cheapest and quickest way is to apply for a H4 visa at the consulate and return back on a H4 visa.
    2. No problems as long as the H1b holder has been maintaining proper status.
    3. Yes, you can study but cannot work on ANY type of job or get paid.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Comment

I am concerned that the school did not refer you to the international student office to get an answer to your question. Make sure they are registered with SEVIS if you think that you might want to change to F1 in the future.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X