Question on H1 and Transit/Tourist Visa at the Same Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on H1 and Transit/Tourist Visa at the Same Time

Hi, I am on OPT now. My F1 visa already expired (Have valid I20 and EAD card). My petition for H1 got approved. Initially I was thinking of going to my home country to get my H-1B visa stamped. Lately, two of my friends went to my home country and had some horrible experience. They both works for US based companies. Though they both received their visa, but it took them forever to go through all the document verification process. Therefore, both my friends advised me to go to Canada or Mexico to get my visa stamped.

Anyway, here is the problem I am running into. Since initially I was thinking of going to my home country for the visa stamping, I already bought my air ticket for September 18. I am still planning to visit my home country to take care of some personal matters. Meanwhile, before I leave for my home country, I am thinking of going to the Tijuana consulate office to get my H-1B visa. I am planning on going there on September 16/17. I know that there is a 10 days entry rule for H-1B applicants. Since my flight is on September 18, I need to re-enter the US before September 21. I understand that one of my options would be to re-schedule my travel dates (travel after September 21), so that I won't run into the problem. Now my questions are:

a) If I still want to keep the travel dates the same as I mentioned before, what are my options to re-enter the US before September 21st to catch my flight from LA?

b) Can I apply for both H-1B and transit/tourist visa at the same time? If the answer is yes, do I have to fill-up two separate applications, or can I just request the consulate officer for a transit/tourist visa during my interview for the H-1B visa?

c) Is there any other option available other than applying for a tourist/transit visa to re-enter the US before September 21?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!

Originally posted by sls
    Hi, I am on OPT now. My F1 visa already expired (Have valid I20 and EAD card). My petition for H1 got approved. Initially I was thinking of going to my home country to get my H-1B visa stamped. Lately, two of my friends went to my home country and had some horrible experience. They both works for US based companies. Though they both received their visa, but it took them forever to go through all the document verification process. Therefore, both my friends advised me to go to Canada or Mexico to get my visa stamped.

Anyway, here is the problem I am running into. Since initially I was thinking of going to my home country for the visa stamping, I already bought my air ticket for September 18. I am still planning to visit my home country to take care of some personal matters. Meanwhile, before I leave for my home country, I am thinking of going to the Tijuana consulate office to get my H-1B visa. I am planning on going there on September 16/17. I know that there is a 10 days entry rule for H-1B applicants. Since my flight is on September 18, I need to re-enter the US before September 21. I understand that one of my options would be to re-schedule my travel dates (travel after September 21), so that I won't run into the problem. Now my questions are:

a) If I still want to keep the travel dates the same as I mentioned before, what are my options to re-enter the US before September 21st to catch my flight from LA?

b) Can I apply for both H-1B and transit/tourist visa at the same time? If the answer is yes, do I have to fill-up two separate applications, or can I just request the consulate officer for a transit/tourist visa during my interview for the H-1B visa?

c) Is there any other option available other than applying for a tourist/transit visa to re-enter the US before September 21?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!

Why do you want to do all this stuff just for 3 days. I advice you to reschedule your flight. If I where you, wouldn't have done anything but to reschedule the flight. I have seen cases where applicants were able to get B1/b2 visa to re-enter in the USA during the transition. However, their cases were totally different and had good reason to apply for B1/B2 visa at the same time.

Comment

The consulate might just give you the b1/B2 and ask you to travel to your home country and get your H1b stamped as you are already going to your home country.

Better postpone your travel date.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X