H1-B and Canada Travel without Visa Stamping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1-B and Canada Travel without Visa Stamping

I am on H1-B and need to visit Canada. In the following are the details of my current status:

1) I moved to US in 2000 on F-1 (student visa)
    2) I converted to H1-status in 2005
    3) I have not been out of country since 2005 and have never got a Visa stamped on my passport for H1-B (the only US visa stamping on my
    passport is F-1 and that visa has expired)
    4) I have applied for my green card with labor and I-140 approved. I-485 has not been filed yet.

Can I travel to Canada and return to the US without getting Visa stamped on my passport (the duration of my stay in Canada will be less than 30 days, in fact it will be only a few hours)?

I read on some websites that "If you are out of the U.S. (to contiguous countries, like Canada or Mexico) for less than 30 days, you can re-enter on your approval notice and do not need to have your passport stamped."

If anybody has tried it recently or knows about this, please let me know. Thanks.

No, Canada requires a visa to enter and so does US to allow you to enter. The new I-94 will not be given but you need a visa to enter and avoid problems.

After 9-11, they have not been allowing entry that way.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X