Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B visa - Mexico or Canada.

Hi,

I came to US on an L2 visa in October 2007. I already had an H1B in 2007 and I got a COS from L2 EAD to H1B in April 2008. I received my I-797 and my new I-94 valid thru 2011. I have no plans to go to my home country before 2011. I graduated with a Masters from US in 2002 and I currently work for one of the top Federal contractors in US. My queries are the following:

a) Since I have never been out of status in my F-1, B-1, L-2 or H-1 visas, can I attend a Visa interview in Mexico/Canada?
    b) How long does it take to get an interview date, Mexico visa etc etc?
    c) What is the PIMS process? I know users like DMX17 will divert me to other related posts but this query is in the context of my current situation.
    d) Can I just drive up north to Canada and attend the Consulate interview?
    e) What are the rejection rates in both these locations?

I would appreciate if someone can provide a response to my queries.

Originally posted by h1bquery
    I know users like DMX17 will divert me to other related posts
    Is my "deverting" a good thing or bad thing?
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

a. Yes
      b. Check nvars.
      c. No special process. Consulate cross verifies your petition. Check other linked list of posts.
      d. Your choice.
      e. No such statistics are available nor feasible.

Your top federal contractor job might cause additional delays if the VO thinks so and if you are involved with a job that deals with national security or involving federal clearances.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

i handle information security for a civil dept client. not aware of any security clearance requirements

Comment

Can someone please reply?

I work in IT Security for a civil dept.

Comment

There is nothing more to reply. Everything from the first post still holds good.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

For txh1b

Then why will the VO cause a problem if I work for a Federal Contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by h1bquery
                Then why will the VO cause a problem if I work for a Federal Contractor?

There is no point in arguing with txh1b. He is right. Even when you take an appointment in Canada, you will see a notice stating the same what he is saying.

Comment

Just remember, when planning a stamping in a third country, there is always a chance that you might be redirected to your home US consulate in your home country. Just recently there was a post by a forum member here.

Comment

Originally posted by orion
                    Just recently there was a post by a forum member here.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X