Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Expires soon...and changing my job

Hi Immihelp,

My first H-1B will expire at the end of Sep-08. I may be able to get a job around September but I am not sure if it's September or later this year. So my plan is to wait until the beginning of September, and if I don't get a job, I will apply for the renewal with my current employer.
    In the meantime, I've heard that I'd better to hurry for renewing my visa.
    When is it too late? And what would you recommend me to do?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

WHat do you mean get a job? You already have a job with your employer if you are on H1b and need to be paid all the time.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Hi txh1b,

Sorry for confusion. "To get a job" means, "To get a new job"...I am considering to change my job before the visa expires.

Appreciate your comments.
      Thanks!

Comment

It is too late past the due date of the I-94 expiration. Anytime before that is fine. It is suggested to apply in advance as one loses status in case of a denial of H1b past the current expiration date on I-94 and no other status changes/H1b transfers are permitted in such circumstances.

This is why... http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44288

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Last question... thanx!

Hi Txh1b,

Thanks for your reply! Pls allow me to double check here... So do you mean, even if I apply for the renewal of H1b AFTER its expiration of Sep-08, as long as the expiration on I-94 is valid (I just checked - it was Mar-09) I can change my current job with my current visa status?

Thank you!!!

Comment

I-94 date, not visa expiration date, determines your status.

You can apply for extension/transfer as long as you are in legal status. Legal status for H1 means working/getting paid all the time and having an unexpired I-797/I-94.
            Check out H1 FAQs first!
            http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Dear DMX17 & txh1b,

Thank you very much for your explanations! It was very helpful!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X