Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COS from H4 to H1

Hi,

Many thanks to the maker n members of such an informative site and esp the forum.

Current status:

I am on H4 visa.
    H1B has been approved( effective date 1st Oct 2008 )
    COS amendment has been filed.

Question:
    While the COS process goes on and if i don't receive the letter for status change by 1st Oct 08 , am i eligible to work?

Please reply.

Thanks in advance,
    Didwin

No work without a COS approval and a new I-94 with the H1 status.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks txh1b.

I read on a forum that it takes 2 - 6 months for the COS approval, but that would mean a long wait.
      Is there any premium processing for this. ?

Also if i get COS, do i still need to a get new I-94 ?

Thanks again.

-didwin

Comment

COS means you will get a new I-94 attached to the approval. As the amendment is on form I129, i believe it could be PPd.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Cos

Hi,

I have similar case. I am on H4 visa and my H1B got approved in June. My COS was also filed and is pending.

1) When can I expect the COS approval to come? I need to travel to India but my lawyer has asked me not to do so until COS is approved.

2) Also I got a new I-94 card attached to my 797, does that mean I can travel?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

1. Your lawyer is absolutely right.
            2. You got it or will get it? Yes, that means a COS is approved.

Comment

Thanks for the response!

I do have an I-94 attached to my approval notice (I-797). Does this mean my COS is approved? However, when I enter the information on USCIS website, it still says case status "recieved and pending"!

I have also talked to my lawyer and he also says that my COS is pending!

Please help!

Thanks!

Comment

I'm not sure what is happening in your case and why your lawyer is saying that. Where did you get the approval I-94 and notice from?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I got my I-94 attached to I-797A from my employer.

Is there any other document for change of status approval?

Comment

That is the COS notice. Did you travel and re-enter on a different status?

Comment

I had come to US on H4 in Dec 07. I had only travelled to Canada in April and May but returned on H4 itself.

Although I have received my approval notice, when I enter my receipt number on the USCIS website, it says Case received and Pending. Does the USCIS website generally gets updated in time or there is some delay? Should I contact USCIS for this?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Are you sure the number is yours? Do you have a copy of approval notice? USCIS website sometimes does not get updated.

Comment

Yes the number is mine. I have re confirmed that.

I was wondering whether my travel to Canada can be causing problem as my H1B petion was filed on 1st April and I had travelled after that. Could it have abandoned my COS petition?

Shall I do something about it or can I travel to India?

Comment

Did you get a new I-94 with your travel? Was your approval I797A or B?

Comment

No I did not get any new I-94. I had travelled by road to Niagara Falls. They dont give new I-94 there.

My approval notice is I-797A with I-94 attached.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X