Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ringing spouse on H4 on Oct 15 while her is H1 approved with COS effective Oct 1,2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ringing spouse on H4 on Oct 15 while her is H1 approved with COS effective Oct 1,2008

Hi Seniors -
    I talked to a attorney about my scenario

- My fiance has a H1B approved with COS from L1 , effective Oct 1,2008
    - I am on H1B status since Oct 2006
    - We are getting married on Sep 1,2008
    - I appear for H1B stamping at US COnsulate , India | Fiance appears for H4 stamping with me

QUestions
    1 ] Fiancee travels to USA on Oct 15,2008 so that she can enter USA on H4 status ( note : Last action rule of USCIS is approving her L1 to H1 COS petition ). Since she entered USA on H4 status , she continues to be on H4 status and doesnt need to work with H1 employer. Correct ?

Response : Yes , correct

2 ] On or around Feb 2008 , H1 employer files for a amendment to change her status from H4 to H1. This amendment is cap exempt , because she already holds a valid H1 petition that was counted against the cap. Correct ?

Response :This is a gray area and I have looked for guidance on this. I think this is a major risk because if she does not begin work on October 1, 2008, her H-1B never activates and as a result, she loses it. So she may not be cap exempt.

3 ] Just entering USA on H4 status on Oct 15,2008 , doesnt cancel her H1 petition. Correct ?

I believe that this might cancel her H-1B. Remember, she has to comply with the LCA which states that she must begin work on October 1, 2008. There is no grace period

While this attorney answered as above , another attorney answered similar to TXH1B in my case. See my other thread where TXH1B had prompt answers to my questions

Anybody have feedback ?

Anybody have feedback ?

Originally posted by VKRAMESH
    Hi Seniors -
    I talked to a attorney about my scenario

- My fiance has a H1B approved with COS from L1 , effective Oct 1,2008
    - I am on H1B status since Oct 2006
    - We are getting married on Sep 1,2008
    - I appear for H1B stamping at US COnsulate , India | Fiance appears for H4 stamping with me

QUestions
    1 ] Fiancee travels to USA on Oct 15,2008 so that she can enter USA on H4 status ( note : Last action rule of USCIS is approving her L1 to H1 COS petition ). Since she entered USA on H4 status , she continues to be on H4 status and doesnt need to work with H1 employer. Correct ?

Response : Yes , correct

2 ] On or around Feb 2008 , H1 employer files for a amendment to change her status from H4 to H1. This amendment is cap exempt , because she already holds a valid H1 petition that was counted against the cap. Correct ?

Response :This is a gray area and I have looked for guidance on this. I think this is a major risk because if she does not begin work on October 1, 2008, her H-1B never activates and as a result, she loses it. So she may not be cap exempt.

3 ] Just entering USA on H4 status on Oct 15,2008 , doesnt cancel her H1 petition. Correct ?

I believe that this might cancel her H-1B. Remember, she has to comply with the LCA which states that she must begin work on October 1, 2008. There is no grace period

While this attorney answered as above , another attorney answered similar to TXH1B in my case. See my other thread where TXH1B had prompt answers to my questions

Comment

1. Correct.
      2. Incorrect. You mean Feb 2009 right?
      3. Incorrect

What kind of attorney is this? I am glad I never spoke to him/her.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Yes , me too ! And this attorney got me confused

Hi Txh1b -
        As i said while this attorney gave me these answers , another attorney gave me similar response to what you told me.

For 2 - Yes i meant Feb 2009. My fiancee's legal attorney told her that she can jus file for amendment in Feb 2009 , which will be cap exempt since she was already counted against the CAP with a approved H1 petition

Originally posted by txh1b
        1. Correct.
        2. Incorrect. You mean Feb 2009 right?
        3. Incorrect

What kind of attorney is this? I am glad I never spoke to him/her.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X