Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1-B 7th Year Extension Do-it-yorself

Hi Guys,
    My 6th year H1B is due to expire Dec 2008. My GC is in process (EB3). My I-140 is approved and I-485 is pending (i got it in during the July 2007 fiasco). I even did a set of fingerprinting. But after all that, the visa numbers are now unavailable.
    My employer has decided to file for an extension. Was wondering if any one did this without a lawyer. My employer is ready to file on my behalf, but the lawyer costs are too high. Is it absolutely critical to get a lawyer? I trust my HR department to do the paperwork right. What do you suggest?
    Plus, am i eligible for 1 yr extension or 3 yrs?
    Thanks in advance for your time.

There is no need to get a lawyer if the HR is comfortable filing the extension. On my extension past the 6th year, the lawyer included the applicable section of the law that allows the 3 year extension past 6 years in addition to all the regular stuff.

If you have a valid EAD, you could give it a shot as you have nothing to lose.

Why multiple posts?

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks!

I just figured multiple posts will get me quicker responses. Thanks for your reply. I don't have my EAD/AP as yet. Do you think i should get that first and then have my employer apply for the H1 extension? Also, i keep reading posts that say EAD/AP is good enough. No need to get an extension. What do you suggest.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X