Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consulate for H1B stamping

Hello,

I am currently in the US on H1B. I am planning to attend my H1B stamping in India. Can I go to any consulate of my choice or do I need to go to Chennai as I am from Karnataka? Please let me know from your experiences.

Thanks.

Chennai. If you go elsewhere, you will be directed to Chennai.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks, does it change if...

This is my 2nd H1B stamping?

My stamping chronology

2002 H1B (Chennai)
      2005 F1 (Kolkatta)

Now I am at a new firm after graduation. The last time around, I was able to go to Kolkatta as I was already in the US. This time, VFS is giving me contradictory responses every time I call them. Please let me know

Comment

Chennai is the safest bet unless you want to have some adventure.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks.

I see what you mean. Thanks again.

Comment

Successful stamping at Mumbai on 10/15

We were issued a visa on 10/15 at Mumbai. It was a brief interview for 2 -3 minutes. My 797 approval notice states Chennai as the consulate, but as I am already residing in the US and this is my 2nd H1 stamping I was able to go to Mumbai. My state of residence in India is Karnataka. My wife was working in the US and quit her job before leaving for India and was applying for an H4 visa.
            Visa Chronology
            My first H1 stamping was from Chennai,
            I then quit to pursue my MBA and had an F1 stamping from Kolkata.
            This was my first stamping for the new job.
            Questions
            VO: Good Morning
            We: Good Morning
            VO: So you two are already in the US?
            We: Yes
            VO: (to me)Is it fun to be in the movie business? What do you do? (I work for a major movie production house)
            Me: I work on structuring financing deals and negotiate contracts and yes,it is very exciting.
            VO: Do you get to meet any actors?
            Me: Yes.
            VO: (to my wife)So you are changing from H1 to H4?
            Wife: Yes
            VO: I don't see that too often.
            Wife: Well I have been working for the past 5 years and want to take a break.
            VO: Good for you.
            VO: (to me) Can I see your old passport?
            Me: Handed it over and she canceled my old visas (H1 and F1)
            VO: OK your visas are issued have a nice day.

I had taken all my documents and pay stubs etc but the VO did not ask for any documents. We entered the consulate at 9:15 AM and were out by 9:45 AM

Comment

Seems you are running scared of Chennai ever since you got your H1! Any specific reason?

Comment

No, just logistics

.. no, just the logistics of getting to Chennai. I prefer Mumbai as I land in Mumbai each time I go to India and want to get done with the stamping before I proceed home. To get to Chennai takes more than 24 hours (one way) as the city I live in has no flight service. I went to Kolkata for my F1 stamping as I was in between my course and no dates were available at Mumbai or Chennai.
                I would go to any consulate as long as it lets me spend more time at home

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X